New baby redfoot won't eat fruits OR greens

Status
Not open for further replies.

Avocado034

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
So the drama continues....

I got a new redfoot baby (appx 2.5 to 3 months) on Saturday afternoon from my redfoot breeder. It hasn't eaten anything since I got it! I have tried fruit (strawberries, melon, etc) and a variety of lettuce greens and no taker. I think the breeder starts them on mazuri so I am worried that the baby is "spoiled" and won't eat fresh food. With my other babies, I've had a problem with them not eating greens, but never not fruit AND greens.

Any suggestions?

Thanks

ruanda

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Portugal
I think you must insist, without stressing her, of course.
After all, from saturday it makes only 3 days without eating.
Good luck for you;)

Redfoot NERD

10 Year Member!
Tennessee
Avocado034 said:
So the drama continues....

I got a new redfoot baby (appx 2.5 to 3 months) on Saturday afternoon from my redfoot breeder. It hasn't eaten anything since I got it! I have tried fruit (strawberries, melon, etc) and a variety of lettuce greens and no taker. I think the breeder starts them on mazuri so I am worried that the baby is "spoiled" and won't eat fresh food. With my other babies, I've had a problem with them not eating greens, but never not fruit AND greens.

Any suggestions?

Thanks

1st - change breeder. No "breeder(?)" with any integrity would start or feed a redfoot tortoise with Mazuri!

2nd - 3 days is too long for a 2.5 to 3 month old to not eat.. especially what you mentioned!

3rd - DO NOT feed that redfoot mazuri to get him to eat.. as long as he's healthy he will not starve himself. Tuff love is what it will take. And I would certainly let that "breeder(???)" know how I felt.

Anyone who receives a redfoot from me comments on how they eat "right-out-of-the-box" - http://www.turtletary.com/ns241/index.php
http://www.redfoots.com/nfs242/

There's no excuse for this nonsense!!!

If you need any personal help.. you know how to get in touch.

NERD

Avocado034

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Thats all good and all.... But there are no suggestions of how to get the baby to eat!! I mean, I pick it up and set it by the food. It walks off. Do I need to feed through a syringe- is it time to take it to a vet yet??

I have no mazuri in my house, so my other baby is chowing down on his greens and fruits. The two are still separated just in case the newbie has anything weird, so its not like the older one is bullying him...

egyptiandan

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
USA
It's definately not time to start force feeding yet. Is the new Redfoot active at all or is it just hiding?

Danny

Redfoot NERD

10 Year Member!
Tennessee
Avocado034 said:
Thats all good and all.... But there are no suggestions of how to get the baby to eat!! I mean, I pick it up and set it by the food. It walks off. Do I need to feed through a syringe- is it time to take it to a vet yet??

I have no mazuri in my house, so my other baby is chowing down on his greens and fruits. The two are still separated just in case the newbie has anything weird, so its not like the older one is bullying him...

Yes I did.. offer him what you have! Eventually he will eat. Like Danny said.. he's too small to be giving shots and forcing all kinds of meds on/in him.

We have to know more than the other one/s eat and the new one doesn't. Again it sounds like they weren't 'started' right.. so you'll just have to offer greens ( alone ) and fruit (alone ) until you get him/them on a good schedule.

I've had many tell me that the 'system' we us for housing and feeding has proven to work well. [ many have been complete turn-arounds ] See the links in my signature.

I'm not being impersonal.. our main concern right now is getting your redfoots eating right.....

Terry K

Jacqui

Wanna be raiser of Lemon Drop tortoises
10 Year Member!
A Land Far Away...
Sometimes it helps if you do a warm soaking just before you try feeding them.

Are your temps good? If your keeping it too hot or too cold, that too will reduce their wanting to eat.

Is it being shy? Might try placing the food dish next to it's hide and see if that helps.

Is the lighting too bright for it?

Do you have the breeders phone number or contact information? Find out what he/she was feeding.

Avocado034

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Let me digress-
I have 1 redfoot who is 9 months old and I have had since he was 1.5 months. HE (Belo) is fine because I got him really young, so he is eating normally. I had another one, but we had an incident with a petsitter and the poor thing ended up getting eaten. So, I replaced the one that got "murdered" with this guy who is appx 2.5 months old.= 2 redfoots (1 9 mo old, 1 new one)

Today, he (new baby) ate some hibiscus leaves and petals, so I think he is going to be okay. I don't think he knows what fresh food is. Turtletary/NERD/whatever, I have been following your diet and housing suggestions since I got the first redfoots about 7 months ago and they have done very well on it. I was just a little taken aback because the first two ALWAYS ate/eat well and this guy had not munched for about 3 days.

As I said, today he ate some hibiscus leaves, so here is to hoping he's on the right track. He is almost as big as my 9 month old and very light, so I am hoping to get some weight on him with good fresh fruits and greens.

Thanks

Jacqui

Wanna be raiser of Lemon Drop tortoises
10 Year Member!
A Land Far Away...
:D Yep sounds like his hunger strike is over. What a relief that is. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.