New Baby Sulcata - “Air Pockets” puffiness under legs

JoesMum

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Kent, South East England
What's with the reptigrass? That has no place in a tortoise enclosure. Your tort needs 3 inches depth of a damp earthy substrate.

Chizbad

Wilmington, NC
I assumed the 3 inches of substrate was to keep humidity in/around the hide log, which there is and it does. The carpet is just to give a cleaner option to the place it eats and drinks but I can fix that if you thinks it’s necessary. Also, its much easier to keep clean from feces and old food sitting around in the dirt.

JoesMum

10 Year Member!
Kent, South East England
I assumed the 3 inches of substrate was to keep humidity in/around the hide log, which there is and it does. The carpet is just to give a cleaner option to the place it eats and drinks but I can fix that if you thinks it’s necessary. Also, its much easier to keep clean from feces and old food sitting around in the dirt.
No the substrate should be throughout the enclosure. The food should be on a piece of flat rock or slate. It shouldn't be cut up small as your tort needs to tear at it and it;'s straightforward to pick up the bits.

Regular soaks will ensure most pooping happens in the soak water, again it's not hard to find it and pick it up. Have the water dish sunk into the soft substrate in the middle of the enclosure. Tortoises tend to patrol the boundaries so they're less likely to drag substrate into it whilst stomping.

Chizbad

Wilmington, NC
No the substrate should be throughout the enclosure. The food should be on a piece of flat rock or slate. It shouldn't be cut up small as your tort needs to tear at it and it;'s straightforward to pick up the bits.

Regular soaks will ensure most pooping happens in the soak water, again it's not hard to find it and pick it up. Have the water dish sunk into the soft substrate in the middle of the enclosure. Tortoises tend to patrol the boundaries so they're less likely to drag substrate into it whilst stomping.

Ok, consider it changed [emoji106]

Chizbad

Wilmington, NC
I've thought about doing something like that, but never actually done it. I love the way you did yours. How is it working? Heat and humidity doing better now?

About your original question: What you are seeing is call edema. Fluid retention essentially. There can be many causes. Have you done a fecal check on your baby yet? Might be worth a look.

You can take the hay out. Babies won't eat that and it doesn't do much for them if they do. They usually start taking more of an interest in hay once they reach about 12".

All the the babies that I've raised try to eat the long fibered sphagnum moss. I'd take that out too. You don't need it.

So I’ve now decided to build an enclosure the right way, is there any specific wood I should look for to build it? I don’t want to build it with something that will make the little one sick obviously...