New baby Sulcata; injured, pics, questions.

chewyblugoo

Hi everybody I have a nice update for you all
-I'm not going to euthanize her
-she is still active and curious as she has been since she arrived
-the swelling is definitely less than the first picture
-she pooped in the terrarium yesterday and during her soak today
-best of all she has been eating some greens today even with part of the beak missing

Thanks for everybody who offered help and positive vibes! I'll keep you updated!

Yo Adrien

Location (City and/or State)
Clearwater, FL
My heart hurts seeing those pics. :( I really hope the beak issue is not due to mistreatment from a breeder. But a reputable breeder should not have sent a new & excited, hopeful owner an animal in that condition. Period. Many positive thoughts being sent to you, and that poor tortie, hoping with your love and care, it can live a happy life. Peace.

counting

5 Year Member
Canada
I wonder if it isn't due to trauma in transit... perhaps her face got smacked hard when her box was jostled. Fluke accident maybe?

chewyblugoo

That's possible too, when people see injured animals they tend to get angry at the one who injured it when in reality we don't know... the breeder has been supportive after getting in contact and offered to send another tortoise free of charge, I hope for the best in people and doubt a breeder would risk their reputation by intentionally sending an injured animal.
If I can nurse her through this it will make the next 100 years that much more special

Bee62

Germany
Hi everybody I have a nice update for you all
-I'm not going to euthanize her
-she is still active and curious as she has been since she arrived
-the swelling is definitely less than the first picture
-she pooped in the terrarium yesterday and during her soak today
-best of all she has been eating some greens today even with part of the beak missing

Thanks for everybody who offered help and positive vibes! I'll keep you updated!

That`s a good update ! I am really glad to hear that. It is great that you give that little one a chance and do the best for her.
That looks like the beginning of a lifelong friendship. I had done the same.

TortoiseGirl1107

Please try and save him I feel horrible. Take him to the vet and see what they think. Plz keep us updated. Fingers crossed!!

daniellenc

Maryland
I wonder if it isn't due to trauma in transit... perhaps her face got smacked hard when her box was jostled. Fluke accident maybe?

While I am new to torts I bred and shipped reptiles for over a decade. A properly packaged reptile would absolutely not suffer that kind of injury even if the box was dropped. I am so sorry your baby came this way and am glad the breeder has offered to send a new tort if wanted, but what was he packaged in upon arrival? I find shipping accident a hard to believe theory due to the containers used are not hard enough to break a beak, and the mouth injury looks older than a few days. Also, styrofoam/bubble wrap/and or sealed air instapacks are always inserted to reduce trauma should the package be mishandled. Often mixtures of these to really insulate the package as accidents happen, but I'd be more than leery to ever work with this breeder again. I hope s/he gets to a vet for antibiotics and it is able to maintain food and water intake despite the injury.