New baby sulcata lethargic

Yoda0916

Haha good,He has been doing very well after he's daily regime of daily baths and constant misting. I am still trying to nurse him back to full health so thus seems to work for now and

Fredkas

5 Year Member
I will add. i dont spray my sulcata because i am not around him in the day time, but i never wipe dry him.
I soak him morning and night. at night when i finished soak him and put him in his enclosure, he will goes directly to his hide in wet condition and stay there until morning, the temp inside his hide is 82F to 85F. his shell and plastron are great. i do this for 4 months. i think this is long enough to say no shell rot.
One more thing, his hide is dripping wet, 99% of humidity, and he goes to his hide every night on his own.
I am doing extreme wet environment

Fredkas

5 Year Member
If you need to see him. he is light color sulcata.

img1478147046808-jpg.191162

Yoda0916

Adorable!! I love the dark new growth, the shell is so pretty.

@Yoda0916 how is yours doing now?
She is doing so much better, gets up in the morning, poops, eats, then basks. I am still closely monitoring as she does still have some trouble opening up her eyes late in the day but he/she has definitely improved.

Fredkas

5 Year Member
She is doing so much better, gets up in the morning, poops, eats, then basks. I am still closely monitoring as she does still have some trouble opening up her eyes late in the day but he/she has definitely improved.
One time i have this problem too. i searched entire forum, there are several reasons cause this. it so confuse because tort happens to show their illness through closed eyes. then i finally get the easiest way first. i give him shredded carrot mix with his mazuri, he likes it. and 2 times giving him this carrot, his eyes is ok until now. so.. in my case, my tort is cure using shredded carrot. from that time, i always give him shredded carrot mix with his mazuri 2x a week.
You can try this, it doesn't hurt the tort. ;)

I see that your tort is doing better, maybe add a shredded carrot will make everything perfect. i am not expert but i think 2x a week for carrot already in its maximum for sulcata, sulcata should not eat this too much. but i just feel convenient that way.

Yoda0916

One time i have this problem too. i searched entire forum, there are several reasons cause this. it so confuse because tort happens to show their illness through closed eyes. then i finally get the easiest way first. i give him shredded carrot mix with his mazuri, he likes it. and 2 times giving him this carrot, his eyes is ok until now. so.. in my case, my tort is cure using shredded carrot. from that time, i always give him shredded carrot mix with his mazuri 2x a week.
You can try this, it doesn't hurt the tort. ;)

I see that your tort is doing better, maybe add a shredded carrot will make everything perfect. i am not expert but i think 2x a week for carrot already in its maximum for sulcata, sulcata should not eat this too much. but i just feel convenient that way.

I was actually feeding shredded carrots once a week so I do think it may have been do in part with Vitamin A deficiency. I will step it up to 2 times a week and see if that makes it better.

JoesMum

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Kent, South East England
I was actually feeding shredded carrots once a week so I do think it may have been do in part with Vitamin A deficiency. I will step it up to 2 times a week and see if that makes it better.
I wouldn't step up the carrot

Sulcatas can't process the sugars in them properly - sugars cause digestive and kidney problems - so carrot, fruit, tomato and bell pepper should only be fed very sparingly and very occasionally.

If you need a vitamin supplement then get liquid bird vitamins from a pet store and add them to soak water.

Fredkas

5 Year Member

Sulcatas can't process the sugars in them properly - sugars cause digestive and kidney problems - so carrot, fruit, tomato and bell pepper should only be fed very sparingly and very occasionally.

If you need a vitamin supplement then get liquid bird vitamins from a pet store and add them to soak water.
This is what concern me about carrot. i agree so much with this

Yoda0916

Wow, no offense to anyone but there is so much conflicting information with these little guys! I am new to tortoises but not to other reptiles such a beardies and I am a bit disappointed that there is so much conflicting stuff going around with these guys :/

Some people say carrots are fine 2 to 3 times a week and others say no more than once?

cmacusa3

5 Year Member
Bixby

Agree! sorry but Fred is new to this. Take the advice of people with experience. Ask @Tom what he would do. I've never feed or soaked my sully carrots.

No offense to Fred but I think the advice is bad

Fredkas

5 Year Member
Agree! sorry but Fred is new to this. Take the advice of people with experience. Ask @Tom what he would do. I've never feed or soaked my sully carrots.

No offense to Fred but I think the advice is bad
Yes!!! No offense at all. Take it easy. ;)
i told you before @Yoda0916 twice is maximum, and that is mix. you should follow anyone that is more experienced than me. let's go with once a week max and that is mix with other food. and try eliminate it. i think i'am starting to do it too :D.
So no conflicting anymore. feed once a week and try to eliminate it. i am very much agree with this. occasionally is good.
I am sorry i messed it up. :p

Yoda0916

Will do that guys, thx for the advice. What greens can I feed that are high in Vitamin A?

JoesMum

10 Year Member!
Kent, South East England
Will do that guys, thx for the advice. What greens can I feed that are high in Vitamin A?
The dark leafy greens are high in vitamin A as well as other vitamins. So feeding a good healthy diet of greens - particularly the darker ones should give your tort everything it needs.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Wow, no offense to anyone but there is so much conflicting information with these little guys! I am new to tortoises but not to other reptiles such a beardies and I am a bit disappointed that there is so much conflicting stuff going around with these guys :/

Some people say carrots are fine 2 to 3 times a week and others say no more than once?

Taking care of tortoises isn't a one-size-fits-all proposition. We all do what works for us. Trial and error.

Yoda0916

So I just saw Toms average weight post and realized Yoda was underweight when I got her. He/she was 30 grams the day after I picked he/she from lllreptiles at the show in Arlington. Today, a month and a half later she is 34 grams. Is this weight norma? After seeing that the average hatchling weight is over 40 grams I am kind of worried about Yoda.

Fredkas

5 Year Member
So I just saw Toms average weight post and realized Yoda was underweight when I got her. He/she was 30 grams the day after I picked he/she from lllreptiles at the show in Arlington. Today, a month and a half later she is 34 grams. Is this weight norma? After seeing that the average hatchling weight is over 40 grams I am kind of worried about Yoda.
Normal. they do have different weight. as long as he is growing and active and everything set up right, you just need to wait and see. they will hit their growth spurt soon enough.