New baby Sulcata!

Hunterclang

Location (City and/or State)
TX
Hi there! I just got my new baby Sulcata a couple days ago. The breeder said he was 4 weeks old. I have decided to name him thomas! So far he has seemed to be very healthy. He spends quite a bit of his day sleeping. However, he does every so often come and wonder around his enclosure and bask in his basking area. His enclosure I built and is 18in x 36in and 13in tall. I have a zoomed UVA/bask bulb and a Zoomed UVB bulb in the lamps. The hottest part of his enclosure measures to 106°F and the coolest part is roughy 78° and the mid ranges to about 90°F. Just want to make sure I’m okay so far? I also did a lot of research before buying and asked the breeder about diet. I have been giving him Romain lettuce and collard greens daily and sprinkling repti-Cal on it two days a week. He seems to be a very happy and healthy turtle. Just want to make sure I’m on the right track while I’m ahead! Thanks guys! I will post updates as he grows and I make adjustments to his enclosure :) IMG_9842.jpgIMG_9863.jpgIMG_9823.jpg

Chubbs the tegu

Ma
1. Basking spot a lil bit high i stay around 100
2. I would go with a tube type uvb
3. I would add some more variety to the diet and sprinkle some grass and weeds in with his greens
4. I see the start off some pyramiding.. try to cover the top of your enclosure to keep the humidity around 80-85% and give 30 min soaks once a day
5. Careful for those lil pebbles in there.. could b an impaction risk
Good luck with the little cutie! And check out the sulcata care thread on here.. its really good

Kapidolo Farms

10 Year Member!
South of Southern California, but not Mexico

Hunterclang

TX
1. Basking spot a lil bit high i stay around 100
2. I would go with a tube type uvb
3. I would add some more variety to the diet and sprinkle some grass and weeds in with his greens
4. I see the start off some pyramiding.. try to cover the top of your enclosure to keep the humidity around 80-85% and give 30 min soaks once a day
5. Careful for those lil pebbles in there.. could b an impaction risk
Good luck with the little cutie! And check out the sulcata care thread on here.. its really good

Thanks! As far as covering the enclosure. I am actually adding onto it tonight, I am going to have about a 9inch place where his log is blocked off by wood with an opening and a lid hinges on for easy access, but so he can still be covered. I will probably put the moss in there. And leave the rest uncovered because I have heard that open air is beneficial for these guys?

Chubbs the tegu

Ma
Closed chamber is best. Its gonna be impossible to keep the humidity levels up with an open top

Hunterclang

TX
Greetings..

Definitely fully cover to keep both the heat and humidity in the enclosure. Bump up your 78 temp to read 80 plus. Id remove the small pebbles, and not add moss.

All the info in Toms care guide - https://tortoiseforum.org/threads/how-to-raise-a-healthy-sulcata-or-leopard-version-2-0.79895/

How would you suggest fully covering it? Making a screen? I know he will still need a good amount of air flow don’t just want another piece of wood on there with a few holes

Chubbs the tegu

Ma
You’ll get plenty of airflow when u open the enclosure to spray, feed, soak

Chubbs the tegu

Ma
U could put a few air vents along the bottom sides if your worried. Heat and humidity rise so openings on top are just gonna let it out. Good luck

Chubbs the tegu

Ma
A screen wont help keep in the humidity. Sheet off plastic, plexi, tarp, shower curtain etc.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
You are not on the right track. Sorry. You got bad info from the breeder and whatever other sources you found. You are not alone. Most of the info available is wrong. We've been doing it wrong with this species for 3 decades, and many people haven't kept up.

Read these threads. They will explain everything that needs to be done. Come back with all your questions when you are done. We are happy to help.
https://tortoiseforum.org/threads/beginner-mistakes.45180/
https://tortoiseforum.org/threads/how-to-raise-a-healthy-sulcata-or-leopard-version-2-0.79895/
https://tortoiseforum.org/threads/for-those-who-have-a-young-sulcata.76744/

You've got:
  • The wrong size enclosure
  • The wrong type of enclosure
  • The wrong bulbs
  • Possibly the wrong fixtures (Can't see if they are Bakelite or ceramic.)
  • The wrong substrate
  • The wrong conditions
  • You are feeding the wrong foods
  • Your highs are too high and the lows a little too low
I don't say these things to be mean. I say them so you know what to fix if you want your tortoise to grow and be healthy.

Hunterclang

TX
You are not on the right track. Sorry. You got bad info from the breeder and whatever other sources you found. You are not alone. Most of the info available is wrong. We've been doing it wrong with this species for 3 decades, and many people haven't kept up.

Read these threads. They will explain everything that needs to be done. Come back with all your questions when you are done. We are happy to help.
https://tortoiseforum.org/threads/beginner-mistakes.45180/
https://tortoiseforum.org/threads/how-to-raise-a-healthy-sulcata-or-leopard-version-2-0.79895/
https://tortoiseforum.org/threads/for-those-who-have-a-young-sulcata.76744/

You've got:
  • The wrong size enclosure
  • The wrong type of enclosure
  • The wrong bulbs
  • Possibly the wrong fixtures (Can't see if they are Bakelite or ceramic.)
  • The wrong substrate
  • The wrong conditions
  • You are feeding the wrong foods
  • Your highs are too high and the lows a little too low
I don't say these things to be mean. I say them so you know what to fix if you want your tortoise to grow and be healthy.

The substrate was recommended to me by multiple people and saw on forums, it’s repti bark. The light fixture is ceramic. I’m not sure how the bulbs are wrong though? They’re giving heat, bask, UVB and UVA? I feed him grass and Romain lettuce which I have read is okay, I have gone lighter on the Romain though. How big should the enclosure be? How is it the wrong size if u don’t mind me asking? I also today managed to get the low to 81° and the high is still around 105°, not sure how to get that down without the low going down as well? Maybe you could help with that as well. Thanks for the input! I’m also putting a lid on top of it to keep humidity and heat in as well.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
The substrate was recommended to me by multiple people and saw on forums, it’s repti bark. The light fixture is ceramic. I’m not sure how the bulbs are wrong though? They’re giving heat, bask, UVB and UVA? I feed him grass and Romain lettuce which I have read is okay, I have gone lighter on the Romain though. How big should the enclosure be? How is it the wrong size if u don’t mind me asking? I also today managed to get the low to 81° and the high is still around 105°, not sure how to get that down without the low going down as well? Maybe you could help with that as well. Thanks for the input! I’m also putting a lid on top of it to keep humidity and heat in as well.
  • The main part of the substrate looks like cypress mulch. That part is okay, but its much too dry. The substrate needs to be damp. I can tell by the appearance of your tortoise that the breeder does not know this or do this.
  • The stuff you added to the substrate is the problem. All the little whitish flecks. Looks like aspen bedding which cannot be kept damp. It will mold.
  • Spot bulbs will cause pyramiding. Your tortoise is already starting due to the breeder's errors. Use a flood from the hardware store, and stay out of the pet shop because you will get bad advice and they will sell you the wrong products.
  • Your UV bulb is a cfl, right? Those are ineffective as UV sources and sometime burn their eyes. They should not be used.
  • Romaine is not toxic, but it doesn't meet their nutritional needs. It lacks fiber and calcium and has a poor calcium to phosphorous ratio. Collard greens are a good food to feed once in a while, but not on a regular basis. Grasses, weeds, flowers and succulents of the right types is what your baby should be eating. Grasses will need to be tender young freshly sprouted soft stuff for a baby to eat it.
  • The minimum size enclosure I recommend for starting a sulcata hatching is 2x4', and that will be outgrown in 2-3 months for a well-started baby.
  • 80 on the cool side and over night is good. 105-106 for the basking spot is hotter than it needs to be and it will contribute to more pyramiding.
  • Adding a top, or better yet, scrapping this enclosure and buying or building a proper closed chamber, will make it much easier to maintain the correct temps and humidity.
As I said, most of what you find for this species is wrong. Old, out-dated, incorrect info that was based on incorrect assumptions about how they live in the wild and that has been passed from generation to generation for 30 years.

These are good questions. Thank you for letting me explain further. Keep 'em coming! :)

Hunterclang

TX
  • The main part of the substrate looks like cypress mulch. That part is okay, but its much too dry. The substrate needs to be damp. I can tell by the appearance of your tortoise that the breeder does not know this or do this.
  • The stuff you added to the substrate is the problem. All the little whitish flecks. Looks like aspen bedding which cannot be kept damp. It will mold.
  • Spot bulbs will cause pyramiding. Your tortoise is already starting due to the breeder's errors. Use a flood from the hardware store, and stay out of the pet shop because you will get bad advice and they will sell you the wrong products.
  • Your UV bulb is a cfl, right? Those are ineffective as UV sources and sometime burn their eyes. They should not be used.
  • Romaine is not toxic, but it doesn't meet their nutritional needs. It lacks fiber and calcium and has a poor calcium to phosphorous ratio. Collard greens are a good food to feed once in a while, but not on a regular basis. Grasses, weeds, flowers and succulents of the right types is what your baby should be eating. Grasses will need to be tender young freshly sprouted soft stuff for a baby to eat it.
  • The minimum size enclosure I recommend for starting a sulcata hatching is 2x4', and that will be outgrown in 2-3 months for a well-started baby.
  • 80 on the cool side and over night is good. 105-106 for the basking spot is hotter than it needs to be and it will contribute to more pyramiding.
  • Adding a top, or better yet, scrapping this enclosure and buying or building a proper closed chamber, will make it much easier to maintain the correct temps and humidity.
As I said, most of what you find for this species is wrong. Old, out-dated, incorrect info that was based on incorrect assumptions about how they live in the wild and that has been passed from generation to generation for 30 years.

These are good questions. Thank you for letting me explain further. Keep 'em coming! :)

IMG_1564024324.618039.jpg

I actually just updated it. I added a humid hut. Inside of there I have his water bowl, a log to hide under, and under the log is some damp orchid moss and I have that spread around as well. And I just sprayed all the substrate in there and the remainder of the enclosure and it is pretty damp. I gave him some fresh Bermuda and Saint Augustine clippings as well. I also have repti-cal that I may start using a couple days a week. I will see about possible adding a lid to this. The only question I have is, how will I have lighting if I have a solid lid? And could u tell me exactly what kind of lighting you recommend?
And yes the bulb is cfl, I guess in about a week once I get paid I will update the lighting. The humidity in the hide is about 75 right now is that sufficient? I watched kamp kenan, he said as long as u spray the whole thing and have a humid hide they should be able to know what they need. Sorry for all the questions crammed into a paragraph !!

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Hi, and welcome!

I understand how you feel. No one likes to be told they are doing everything wrong, and why should you take out word for it anyway. But trust me, if you follow our instructions you will raise a beautiful, happy, healthy sulcata tortoise! Another thing, the screen effectively screens OUT the beneficial UVB rays.

Pastel Tortie

North Florida
View attachment 277175

I actually just updated it. I added a humid hut. Inside of there I have his water bowl, a log to hide under, and under the log is some damp orchid moss and I have that spread around as well. And I just sprayed all the substrate in there and the remainder of the enclosure and it is pretty damp. I gave him some fresh Bermuda and Saint Augustine clippings as well. I also have repti-cal that I may start using a couple days a week. I will see about possible adding a lid to this. The only question I have is, how will I have lighting if I have a solid lid? And could u tell me exactly what kind of lighting you recommend?
And yes the bulb is cfl, I guess in about a week once I get paid I will update the lighting. The humidity in the hide is about 75 right now is that sufficient? I watched kamp kenan, he said as long as u spray the whole thing and have a humid hide they should be able to know what they need. Sorry for all the questions crammed into a paragraph !!
Ask as many questions as you want, or as many as you can think of. The information out there is overwhelming.

How do you know what to trust? Put it this way... ESPECIALLY for sulcata tortoises, the fact sheets here are based on hard science. Dedicated breeders like @Tom, @Markw84, and others run husbandry experiments (for the rest of us to see, comment, and question here on the forum) to determine what works best and produces the best results. If someone comes along with a better/different idea or way of doing things, their idea/way gets questioned, clarified, and tested. If it proves true (proves better), the guidance here gets updated.

We don't agree on everything (that's why we have a Debatable Topics section), but we try to understand why something may work in one situation or location, but not another. We like knowing the WHY so it can be factored into the guidance, as needed.

Ray--Opo

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Palm Bay Fl
Try putting 3 in. of coco coir under your reptibark. Go by the instructions to mix with water. The coir will help hold humidity for longer periods of time. The closed enclosure is very important to hold humidity and heat in. A sulcata for the first 2 yrs can be involved. I finally got my sully outside fulltime. Usually around 2yrs old and about 10 in. long. If you take him outside keep it supervised. Get distracted on your phone before you know you can't find them. Also hawks and crows are not friends. He won't last to long in the hot sun at his size. After outside time.I always give a good soak for 1/2hr or longer in warm water. Dont let it cool down. Good luck I guarantee your little buddy will give you hrs of joy as you get to know him.