New baby Sulcata!

Hunterclang

Location (City and/or State)
TX
Just wanted to update you guys on the new enclosure. Should be finished in the next few days.. just need to add walls, floor, and make a lid and it will be ready for Thomas!View attachment 277305

Hunterclang

TX
Just wanted to update you guys on the new enclosure. Should be finished in the next few days.. just need to add walls, floor, and make a lid and it will be ready for Thomas! IMG_9895.jpg 4ftx3ft and 2.5ft tall

Ray--Opo

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Palm Bay Fl
Just wanted to update you guys on the new enclosure. Should be finished in the next few days.. just need to add walls, floor, and make a lid and it will be ready for Thomas! View attachment 277306 4ftx3ft and 2.5ft tall
Nice job! Is it 2.5ft from the ground or the bottom of enclosure? When you make your lid I would make it 12" to 18" high. So you can contain the heat and light source in the enclosure. Having them sitting on top. Creates a stove pipe affect and you lose heat and humidity out the top.

Hunterclang

TX
Nice job! Is it 2.5ft from the ground or the bottom of enclosure? When you make your lid I would make it 12" to 18" high. So you can contain the heat and light source in the enclosure. Having them sitting on top. Creates a stove pipe affect and you lose heat and humidity out the top.

No I’m sorry 2.5 feet from the bottom of enclosure

Hunterclang

TX
  • The main part of the substrate looks like cypress mulch. That part is okay, but its much too dry. The substrate needs to be damp. I can tell by the appearance of your tortoise that the breeder does not know this or do this.
  • The stuff you added to the substrate is the problem. All the little whitish flecks. Looks like aspen bedding which cannot be kept damp. It will mold.
  • Spot bulbs will cause pyramiding. Your tortoise is already starting due to the breeder's errors. Use a flood from the hardware store, and stay out of the pet shop because you will get bad advice and they will sell you the wrong products.
  • Your UV bulb is a cfl, right? Those are ineffective as UV sources and sometime burn their eyes. They should not be used.
  • Romaine is not toxic, but it doesn't meet their nutritional needs. It lacks fiber and calcium and has a poor calcium to phosphorous ratio. Collard greens are a good food to feed once in a while, but not on a regular basis. Grasses, weeds, flowers and succulents of the right types is what your baby should be eating. Grasses will need to be tender young freshly sprouted soft stuff for a baby to eat it.
  • The minimum size enclosure I recommend for starting a sulcata hatching is 2x4', and that will be outgrown in 2-3 months for a well-started baby.
  • 80 on the cool side and over night is good. 105-106 for the basking spot is hotter than it needs to be and it will contribute to more pyramiding.
  • Adding a top, or better yet, scrapping this enclosure and buying or building a proper closed chamber, will make it much easier to maintain the correct temps and humidity.
As I said, most of what you find for this species is wrong. Old, out-dated, incorrect info that was based on incorrect assumptions about how they live in the wild and that has been passed from generation to generation for 30 years.

These are good questions. Thank you for letting me explain further. Keep 'em coming! :)

I want to say thanks so much again for all the tips! I took everything you said into consideration. I added some organic top soil to the cypress mulch.

I am considering getting a flood uvb light or may just not have one at all since I take him outside so often.

And most importantly!! I scratched completely what I had before and made a closed chamber and took inspiration from a pic I saw you post on a thread. The humidity is at a constant 75-80 and the coolest temp is 81 and highest a little high at 103, but just right under the basking light.

Any more tips for what I can do from anyone are greatly appreciated!!! IMG_9906.jpgIMG_9908.jpg

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
That topsoil is full of perlite. Its needs to be removed NOW. ASAP. Immediately. Your tortoises will eat it and slowly die.

You don't need soil. Its too messy, you can't know what its made of, it could be something toxic, and there are often additives, like perlite.

A regular terra cotta saucer without the pebble lip will work better for your tortoises.

Good job on closing it all in. Now its time to start building the next one and this time don't use wood. Wood will rot in any damp humid environment. You can by sheets of expanded PVC and use it like plywood. Or just buy one for the same money.

Hunterclang

TX
That topsoil is full of perlite. Its needs to be removed NOW. ASAP. Immediately. Your tortoises will eat it and slowly die.

You don't need soil. Its too messy, you can't know what its made of, it could be something toxic, and there are often additives, like perlite.

A regular terra cotta saucer without the pebble lip will work better for your tortoises.

Good job on closing it all in. Now its time to start building the next one and this time don't use wood. Wood will rot in any damp humid environment. You can by sheets of expanded PVC and use it like plywood. Or just buy one for the same money.

Oh okay. I thought I read somewhere organic soil is good to use. I will replace it all and just use only cypress mulch then? Or what do u recommend to keep humidity in?

And I can take the pebbles off as well.

Yes I actually am just planning on putting some plexi glass over the wood on inside at some point or maybe I’ll use PVC so the rotting dosent get so bad

Thanks for the info!

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Oh okay. I thought I read somewhere organic soil is good to use. I will replace it all and just use only cypress mulch then? Or what do u recommend to keep humidity in?

And I can take the pebbles off as well.

Yes I actually am just planning on putting some plexi glass over the wood on inside at some point or maybe I’ll use PVC so the rotting dosent get so bad

Thanks for the info!
Fine grade orchid bark is the best substrate for them. Cypress mulch is okay too. You probably read in many places that organic top soil was good. It isn't. I think my old care sheet still says "plain additive free soil". I've changed my mind on that over the years. I need to update that care sheet. In any case, the soil you bought is not additive free. It has that tortoise killing perlite in it.

Hunterclang

TX
Fine grade orchid bark is the best substrate for them. Cypress mulch is okay too. You probably read in many places that organic top soil was good. It isn't. I think my old care sheet still says "plain additive free soil". I've changed my mind on that over the years. I need to update that care sheet. In any case, the soil you bought is not additive free. It has that tortoise killing perlite in it.

Just bought some more cypress mulch and about to take all of the substrate out and replace it. This should be a fun mess [emoji23]

Ray--Opo

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Palm Bay Fl
I want to say thanks so much again for all the tips! I took everything you said into consideration. I added some organic top soil to the cypress mulch.

I am considering getting a flood uvb light or may just not have one at all since I take him outside so often.

And most importantly!! I scratched completely what I had before and made a closed chamber and took inspiration from a pic I saw you post on a thread. The humidity is at a constant 75-80 and the coolest temp is 81 and highest a little high at 103, but just right under the basking light.

Any more tips for what I can do from anyone are greatly appreciated!!! View attachment 277401View attachment 277402
Nice, I don't know if you have a infrared temp gun but it is a great tool to have. I would bring the basking temp down another 5°. When your tort is underneath for a good 1/2 hr. check the temp of the shell. You can also but a brick in the basking area for a hr. You will be surprised the temp difference you get just a few inches closer to the basking bulb. 20190304_173132.jpg
These kind of temp/humid units seem to work best. 20190304_173100.jpg

Hunterclang

TX
Nice, I don't know if you have a infrared temp gun but it is a great tool to have. I would bring the basking temp down another 5°. When your tort is underneath for a good 1/2 hr. check the temp of the shell. You can also but a brick in the basking area for a hr. You will be surprised the temp difference you get just a few inches closer to the basking bulb. View attachment 277489
These kind of temp/humid units seem to work best. View attachment 277490

I actually have both of those showed in ur pics! I lowered my wattage on the bulb to 75w but still at like 102 in the basking area. Not sure how to bring that temp down.

Hunterclang

TX

IMG_9916.jpg

50% orchid bark
50%repti bark

Hopefully I have everything good enough for him until I line it all with plastic to prevent rotting. Now I just wait for him to outgrow it! Lol

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
I actually have both of those showed in ur pics! I lowered my wattage on the bulb to 75w but still at like 102 in the basking area. Not sure how to bring that temp down.
3 ways to adjust the basking temp:
  1. Raise or lower the fixture.
  2. Get a higher or lower wattage bulb.
  3. Run the fixture through a rheostat and dial in the correct temperature.

Ray--Opo

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Palm Bay Fl
3 ways to adjust the basking temp:
  1. Raise or lower the fixture.
  2. Get a higher or lower wattage bulb.
  3. Run the fixture through a rheostat and dial in the correct temperature.
Always wondered if you could use a rheostat. I was going to ask you Tom. You always mention adjusting the height. I thought it to be a dumb question to ask. :confused: