New Baby Sulcata

DoobyScoob

Location (City and/or State)
Utah
Hey everyone, I’m new to the tortoise forum and would like some advice on a Sulcata that I picked up. He is about 2 months old and when we first brought him home he moved around a lot but he’s not moving as much anymore. I only see him take a few bites of the kale we have lying around. I’ve got a heat lamp on him. How much are they suppose to move around and eat? I’ll send a picture of his enclosure. I just want to make sure we’re doing everything we can. Thanks

Attachments

• B72714AA-181A-4221-9791-0EB203C60C6F.jpeg
    B72714AA-181A-4221-9791-0EB203C60C6F.jpeg
    1.1 MB · Views: 18

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Few breeders in the entire country start babies correctly. Here is the usual result:

Few sellers give people the correct care info, or care for them correctly before the sale. We've been keeping this species all wrong for decades, and that decades old wrong info is everywhere. Here is the current and correct care info:

You can improve the chances of survival by following the advice in the care sheet. Questions are welcome.

DoobyScoob

Utah
Thank you for your response. I read the hatchling syndrome and I believe that could be a big possibility as to why are we are seeing our Sulcata act the way it is. Where is the care sheet that you mention?

KarenSoCal

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Low desert 50 mi SE of Palm Springs CA
Where is the care sheet that you mention?

The care sheet is the 2nd link in Tom's post. "The best way to raise a sulcata, leopard, or star tortoise"

Should we spray him down? Dunk him in water or is he just gonna keep declining until he dies?

No, no spraying or dunking.
He does need to be soaked in warm (90-95°F) water at least daily, preferably 2x/day. The water should come up just over where the top and bottom shells meet. He should stay in the water for 30 minutes. Don't let the water get cold. Keep it warm the whole time. Use a container that has high sides, preferably opaque, that he can walk around in, but can't climb out.

Where did you get him?

Most of the babies who are started badly die. But some of them do pull through! You have a fight in front of you, but your baby needs you to give him the very best care you possibly can.

The enclosure he is in is not what he needs. He needs to be in a closed chamber type enclosure in order to achieve and maintain the high temp and humidity he must have.

The lights you are using are not good for tortoises. You need a fluorescent tube type UVB light. You need an incandescent flood light for basking on a timer, and you need a CHE (ceramic heating element) on a thermostat for heat without light at night.

Please read the care sheet carefully. You will see that everything I said you need is in the care sheet. Even if your baby was completely healthy, we would still recommend these changes. This is how a baby tort should be housed.

After reading the sheet, come back and ask about anything you don't understand. We have suggestions to give you for a closed chamber, and recommendations and links for lights and other equipment.

Also, it would be better if you put your thermo/hygro down lower at baby's height. You need to know the temp/humidity at his level, not way up in the habitat.