New baby Sullivan

Destben

Location (City and/or State)
Kansas
Hmm, Ioght be okay then. This is what I have going right now. I have raised turtles before but never a tortoise so I am still learning. I read all the pinned topics but I am still worried it's all wrong.

Maybe you try using a syringe for premature kittens if you haven't found a small enough one

View attachment 244863
I would go get a tall tub like the ones pictured in my pictures. But The bigger the better. these guys need a lot of room. My Russian has 2 large tubs hooked together and its still not enough room for him. Hatch lings although small need room to walk. This aides in digestion. Sully's enclosure is small because he is sick and needs high heat and humidity to help burn it out of his system.

Bee62

Germany
I yes i do. the Mazuri wasn't cooperating with the syringe very well even mushed up. Im going to go to the store and get some organic baby food (hopefully they have some good stuff). I have been putting droplets on the corner of his mouth and he seems to swallow but its no where near enough.
Good luck with the feeding. I hope you can get a little bit food in this poor baby. Be careful that he can swallow it. Not too much, only little drops. I know that you know that but I know it is difficult to feed a tortoise who don`t want to eat.

Destben

Kansas
How is the baby today?
Hes still with us. Hes getting around better but still lacking energy. He now will move himself to get comfortable temperature wise. I will soak him when i get home for lunch and let y'all know more. I m going to try and feed him some mushed mazuri to see if he will eat on his own.

Destben

Kansas
IMG_0547.jpg no serious updates. The little one is still with us and seems to be breathing ok. I was advised to make his soaks deep enough to come to his nostrils so I’m going to try that today and watch him like a hawk hopefully he will drink on his own.

Destben

Kansas
View attachment 244988 no serious updates. The little one is still with us and seems to be breathing ok. I was advised to make his soaks deep enough to come to his nostrils so I’m going to try that today and watch him like a hawk hopefully he will drink on his own.
and I mean while his head is down not while his head is up. that would be to deep.

Pearly

5 Year Member
Central Texas, Austin area
and I mean while his head is down not while his head is up. that would be to deep.

Suggestion: those hide openings facing THE OUT maybe be still making him feel exposed. Put some big leafy plant on top of it so that it covers the entrance hole almost completely, also that plastic may not be dark/thick enough to keep the light out of the the hide. Baby Sully needs it DARK, COVERED from predators, WARM and HUMID to heal. I used to buy untreated dry sheet moss, soak it in warm water and lay it on top of my baby tort hides, covering the entryways almost completely. It kept the hides both humid and dark. One more thing, try to move that probe towards the back wall of the hide, it may be discouraging the baby from trying to go inside. I would even try disguising it by covering with moistened moss, try to make this hide look more enticing. Baby torts like to wedge themselves in tight dark spaces and nestle in to feel safe

Destben

Kansas
Suggestion: those hide openings facing THE OUT maybe be still making him feel exposed. Put some big leafy plant on top of it so that it covers the entrance hole almost completely, also that plastic may not be dark/thick enough to keep the light out of the the hide. Baby Sully needs it DARK, COVERED from predators, WARM and HUMID to heal. I used to buy untreated dry sheet moss, soak it in warm water and lay it on top of my baby tort hides, covering the entryways almost completely. It kept the hides both humid and dark. One more thing, try to move that probe towards the back wall of the hide, it may be discouraging the baby from trying to go inside. I would even try disguising it by covering with moistened moss, try to make this hide look more enticing. Baby torts like to wedge themselves in tight dark spaces and nestle in to feel safe
He doesn't get around that much and hasn't really opened his eyes. I have them facing out so that i can see him and don't have the urge to open the lid to make sure he is breathing. Hes only using the ceramic heat emitters so that is will stay dark. I will add more to it once his eyes are open. I'm just trying to keep as many obstacles out of his way as possible at the moment. The probe will be left there for now it is exactly where it needs to be to keep temps perfect. Hes not using either hide of his own accord right now I am moving him making sure he gets basking heat time. He is however starting to really move and gets about 8 inches away from where he is but I think hes moving for heat not based on what he sees because his eyes are still closed.

Pearly

5 Year Member
Central Texas, Austin area
He doesn't get around that much and hasn't really opened his eyes. I have them facing out so that i can see him and don't have the urge to open the lid to make sure he is breathing. Hes only using the ceramic heat emitters so that is will stay dark. I will add more to it once his eyes are open. I'm just trying to keep as many obstacles out of his way as possible at the moment. The probe will be left there for now it is exactly where it needs to be to keep temps perfect. Hes not using either hide of his own accord right now I am moving him making sure he gets basking heat time. He is however starting to really move and gets about 8 inches away from where he is but I think hes moving for heat not based on what he sees because his eyes are still closed.

That’s a good thing, that he’s moving. And about the probe, yes, it needs to be INSIDE of the hide, what I meant was to perhaps place it back more towards the wall so he wouldn’t have to STEP OVER IT, and cover with some loose sphagnum moss or leaf litter or something but you do what you are comfortable with. It all has to work FOR YOU bcs this is your pet. We all have our own ways of doing things that work for us and our pets. You sure are doing your very best for this poor little baby. God bless you for that and good karma come your way:)

Destben

Kansas
That’s a good thing, that he’s moving. And about the probe, yes, it needs to be INSIDE of the hide, what I meant was to perhaps place it back more towards the wall so he wouldn’t have to STEP OVER IT, and cover with some loose sphagnum moss or leaf litter or something but you do what you are comfortable with. It all has to work FOR YOU bcs this is your pet. We all have our own ways of doing things that work for us and our pets. You sure are doing your very best for this poor little baby. God bless you for that and good karma come your way:)
the enclosure is small to ensure that he stays warm and humid. the probe is being anchored by the hide where it needs to be. he does not use either hide by himself at the moment so i'm not worried about him stepping over it or even going in that hide at the moment. If I move it weather it face another way or anything it can fluctuate my temps up to 3 degrees. So for now its got to stay where it is. Thank you for kind words and thoughts he really needs all that he can get. :D

Destben

Kansas
So Update. I think he is starting to drink (just the tiniest bit) since the water covers his mouth while laying down (but not his nose). He is also trying really hard to open his right eye more then a slit. Please keep the prayers coming.

Bee62

Germany
So Update. I think he is starting to drink (just the tiniest bit) since the water covers his mouth while laying down (but not his nose). He is also trying really hard to open his right eye more then a slit. Please keep the prayers coming.
I am still praying for your little baby and my fingers are crossed.

Destben

Kansas
So we took him to get his 3rd round of antibiotics and he also received some more fluids. They weighed him before and still no weight loss. He was a little fighter today and was really spunky. He was pacing his travel Tupperware (that I also soak him in) and he even did the flail they do when you pick them up. I know him getting stressed isn’t good but that’s the liveliest he’s been