New baby

Status
Not open for further replies.

ophidia

Location (City and/or State)
West Fargo
I just received a captive bred baby pancake today. "She" (looks like a she from what I can see on her tail) is about 3" carapace length. She also began inhaling spring mix as soon as I set her down in her enclosure, so shipping must have been hungry work. She's a good looking, healthy looking baby.

Here's a pic:

pancake.jpg

She has green tortoise lips from eating her weight in spring mix. I only held her for about 5 minutes and will be leaving her be for a while to get used to her new digs (not that she seems all that concerned).

My 9 year old daughter named her Flapjack, because of course she did.

I'm pretty excited!

Bambam1989

East Texas
Welcome to the Forum!
It is so awesome to see a new pancake owner. I feel like they are an amazing and interesting tort. Although I don't own one, I have done a TON of research on them.
I hope that you keep us updated on her growth and development!

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Love the basking pic, too funny. Her back legs laying out more like frog legs lol.
She is too young though to sex her. Most torts look female when young.

ophidia

West Fargo
I need to not get too comfy with pronouns at this point :). I figure it was too small. Male or female, doesn't matter to me. I think Flapjack could be a fairly gender neutral name :D.

ophidia

West Fargo
I saw some fresh wheat grass at the grocery store, and though maybe the baby would like it. I cut and rinsed some, and put it by the rock the baby was hanging out under, and it came running out immediately and started inhaling the grass. So it seems wheat grass is a hit :).

ophidia

West Fargo
He/she seems to be doing fine. Still eating well, eyes are clear, active. It doesn't seem to have noticeably grown yet, but I don't know what I should expect there. Spring mix and Zoo-Med grassland pellets (soaked) are not high energy foods. Mostly it eats spring mix and the occasional spinach leaf.

Bambam1989

East Texas
He/she seems to be doing fine. Still eating well, eyes are clear, active. It doesn't seem to have noticeably grown yet, but I don't know what I should expect there. Spring mix and Zoo-Med grassland pellets (soaked) are not high energy foods. Mostly it eats spring mix and the occasional spinach leaf.
Do you have a scale that can weigh in grams?
Alot of tort keepers, especially of young ones, will do a weekly weigh to watch for growth. I do not know how fast pancakes grow since I haven't had the pleasure of owning one(yet) but once you start tracking the weight others who have can give advice.
Spinach isn't something that most of us offer our torts. It is high in oxalate crystals which are known to contribute to formation of kidney stones. The occasional bit of kale is ok. For more ideas, I like this website http://www.thetortoisetable.org.uk/index.php#.WslWkOBlA0M

There aren't enough pancake photos out there so always feel free to share!

ophidia

West Fargo
I do have a scale that will measure in grams (as well as ounces and grains). Looking at that site, it appears that after the soak would be a good time to weigh. I know that it feels more solid after a soak.
I'll cut out the spinach. I knew about the oxalates, but didn't know it was that severe of a risk for tortoises.

CourtneyG

5 Year Member
Auburn, Alabama
They are relatively average growing. My babies when hatching take about 1 year to reach 3 inches. So in about 2 years you should a almost full grown tortoise, and at 3 years they should have reached max adult. So looking at that takes them 3 years about to become adults. Grassland and Mazuri tortoise food and fresh/dried whole grass have enough protein in them to provide the adequate amount they need to grow. The protein is low compared to meat or other animal products, but they really do not process animal proteins that well. If you can put a small hay manger in your enclosure you can have grass available all the time for them to munch on as well.

ophidia

West Fargo
I ditched the spring mix w/ spinach and got standard organic spring mix. I'd only been feeding the spinach mix for a little while, because of the high levels of vitamin A. I didn't realize tortoises were so susceptible to crystal growth in the kidneys. I do have hay available in there all the time. I'm not sure if it eats much of it, but it's always there.

kaabi

5 Year Member
I saw some fresh wheat grass at the grocery store, and though maybe the baby would like it. I cut and rinsed some, and put it by the rock the baby was hanging out under, and it came running out immediately and started inhaling the grass. So it seems wheat grass is a hit :).

Hi Ophidia, welcome to the forum! another pancake enthusiast!!! We need to grow this community!!!

They can be quite choosy when comes to food. Example, mine love clovers and hibiscus leaf for a period of time and then they totally ignore hibiscus leaf (just the flower, absolutely nutz about it), which then switches to mulberry leafs.

Soak him/her more often then suggested. Chop up mixed greens/leafs and supplement the mix.
good luck with Flapjack.

K

ophidia

West Fargo
I'm not sure what the air humidity is, just whatever the room level is, but I keep the substrate slightly moist under the slate. I was able to pick some dandelion greens for him today (from a safe area) and he enjoyed his washed dandelion greens. I also soak him daily, and his water dish is low enough/large enough for him to easily get in and out.

Flapjack

Edmonds
I'm not sure what the air humidity is, just whatever the room level is, but I keep the substrate slightly moist under the slate. I was able to pick some dandelion greens for him today (from a safe area) and he enjoyed his washed dandelion greens. I also soak him daily, and his water dish is low enough/large enough for him to easily get in and out.
Hey, do you have any advice or care to update?

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
The original poster who started this thread hasn't visited the Forum since 2018. You'd be better off starting your own thread in the pancake section.

Status
Not open for further replies.