New baby!

AzDesert

Location (City and/or State)
metro Phx, AZ
So excited to have my first Radiated tort! (I have sulcatas and aldabras) This little fella is such a cutie! Already best buds w/ my hubby and me! Thank you ATC for the precious baby~ I will probably contact you a lot at first with questions!
Always open for any suggestions, tricks of the trade, etc. from anyone here!
Now I gotta figure out a name!!new baby.jpg

Sterant

5 Year Member
Albany, NY
Congrats and welcome to the club. Be careful in AZ to keep in humid all the time. At least 85%. It appears ATC started it well - nice smooth growth. Closed chamber is the way to go, especially in AZ, for at least the first few years.

AzDesert

metro Phx, AZ
Congrats and welcome to the club. Be careful in AZ to keep in humid all the time. At least 85%. It appears ATC started it well - nice smooth growth. Closed chamber is the way to go, especially in AZ, for at least the first few years.
Thank you!!! :) Yes, it's so tiny and I want to make sure I keep up the great work that ATC did! I'll stay in touch with updates!!!

AzDesert

metro Phx, AZ
Question: what type of humidifier would you recommend? I have the repti-fogger (used it for my aldabras when they were smaller) but just seems like it "overloads" the enclosure and is foggy- but it keeps the humidity at about 85-90%. Is that ok, or should I consider a different machine?
I have the little guy in a 40gal aquarium (basically 18 x 24) with a partially closed top, with cypress mulch as substrate. Thanks!!!

Sterant

5 Year Member
Albany, NY
I don't use foggers or misters for radiata. I keep them in a closed chamber with fine grade orchid bark as a substrate, but cypress mulch works too. In your situation, the issue is that the top is not sealed. If you keep the substrate moderately wet, and the enclosure is relatively closed up, it will retain high humidity without a fogger.

Take a look at the Animal Plastics terrestrial cages - these are the closed chambers that many of us use for baby tortoises. The lights are placed inside the enclosure, so all of the heat from them stays inside and since the air cannot escape in large volumes, the humidity is retained.

Look through the "Tortoise Enclosures" forum here and you will see many threads about closed chambers, but here is one I put together:
https://tortoiseforum.org/threads/b...-pvc-enclosed-chamber-–-for-beginners.159220/

AzDesert

metro Phx, AZ
I don't use foggers or misters for radiata. I keep them in a closed chamber with fine grade orchid bark as a substrate, but cypress mulch works too. In your situation, the issue is that the top is not sealed. If you keep the substrate moderately wet, and the enclosure is relatively closed up, it will retain high humidity without a fogger.

Take a look at the Animal Plastics terrestrial cages - these are the closed chambers that many of us use for baby tortoises. The lights are placed inside the enclosure, so all of the heat from them stays inside and since the air cannot escape in large volumes, the humidity is retained.

Look through the "Tortoise Enclosures" forum here and you will see many threads about closed chambers, but here is one I put together:
https://tortoiseforum.org/threads/building-your-own-expanded-pvc-enclosed-chamber-–-for-beginners.159220/
AWESOME! Thank you!!! I'm going to do it right now!