New baby

Status
Not open for further replies.

mercurysmom

5 Year Member
I just adopted a new baby, to add to my planets! His name is Jupiter.
The breeder I got him from gave him to me, to compensate for the one that had died a couple of weeks ago due to what appeared to be a growth hormone issue, and severe dehydration. He was dehydrated and sick when I got him, but I didn't even know it until he'd stopped eating and it was too late. Hopefully I have better luck with Jupiter. I thought everything was fine with that baby when it clearly wasn't, so now I'm being extremely cautious with my precious babies. Forgive me for all of my questions! I just need to be sure I'm doing this all right.

Firstly, I need help guessing the age of Jupiter (the guy I got him from said he wasn't sure), and Id also like to know if it is recommended that I soak him in pumpkin (I heard that's good for him, but wonder if he's too young). If so, how long should i soak him for? I just bought the stuff in a can, but want the OK from someone first.

I just got him on Sunday afternoon, so about 48 hours ago. But right now he won't look at his Mazuri pellets and shows no interest in lettuce. My other two tortoises are nuts over that stuff. I haven't seen him eat anything at all. At what point should I be concerned? He just walks away from everything I offer him, (grape leaves, various weeds, grass from outside) and goes straight back into his hide box. He's spent roughly 5 hours a day outside on grass, so maybe he munches while I'm away; but I'd really just like to see him eat! Is there something else I should offer him? Or should i just back off and let him adjust to his new life? Would the pumpkin help?

The guy I got him from kept them on alfalfa and rabbit pellets, in his backyard with no heat or humidifier. He feels nice and bulky tho, even heavier than the bigger guy; so I think he's hydrated well. He's been getting his daily 30 min soak too. I keep the humidity at least 50-60% (with the exception of him going outside during the day where it's a bit dryer). His warmest spot ranges from 90-100 Fahrenheit, and he's currently on reptibark. ( I'm switching to orchid bark soon).

He's the smaller lighter colored one in the pic. the bigger one (Venus) is from the same breeder, a little over a month ago. Any idea why he's so much lighter? Is that normal?Jupiter's shell is 6.2 cm long from head to tail.

Thanks for all your tips!

Attachments

• image-4100503852.png
    image-4100503852.png
    233.7 KB · Views: 34
  • image-3662163580.png
    image-3662163580.png
    1.2 MB · Views: 43

lovelyrosepetal

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Oklahoma
Because of the way he/she has been kept, I would not count on it being well hydrated. I would continue with the soaks, I would also make sure to spray it whenever the shell looks dry. I am no expert, I am just a newbie myself and am going off of everything that I have read. I think it is probably to soon to fret about the eating. I think after a few days it should settle into its routine and eat fine. I am sure you already know to soak the mazuri before you give it to them and mine did not like the mazuri at first and now it loves it. Mine also likes the yellow squash steamed and raw. I don't know how often you can give it but I give it about three days out of the week. I have a garden and have also given the flower and leaves from the squash and they haven't liked the leaves but love the flowers. I have also tried strawberry leaves and they did not like it. I am sure someone else will chime in with better ideas. Good luck and Jupiter and Venus are adorable! :)

I meant too soon and not to soon. Sorry :)

mercurysmom

5 Year Member
Thanks! Still no eating that I know of.... But still active and running around.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Chicago, Illinois, USA
I would bump up the humidity to 80% temps no lower then 80 day and night, with the hotter basking area. He was not started very good being on hay and pellets. I would soak him twice daily and keep up the misting. The food soaks is with baby food carrots, not pumpkin. I would do the baby food soaks if you don't see him eat in a few days. You do have to give him an adjustment period. I would also keep him separated from your others. They may not be from the same group and he is much smaller. You don't want anything to keep him from eating and thriving. Good luck, hope all works out for the both of you.

Status
Not open for further replies.