new bedding for my tortoise!

Status
Not open for further replies.

mikayydee

5 Year Member
I went to buy a new bedding for my tortoise, but I don't know if its best for a sulcata. I had the alfalfa before and I didn't like it. It was a mess and it would mold if any liquid would get on it, so I got this bedding called Eco earth, its 8 dry quarts loose coconut fiber substrate. I hope this is better than the one I had before.

eframcas

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Miami
Personally, I love the coconut fiber substrate. In my opinion, it is really good because it can hold moisture for longer periods of time. Even when the top layer of the coconut substrate is dry, the little torts can always dig and find moisture underneath. Although the torts get a little messy with it, it should not deter you from using it. I personally don't have a water bowl for my Sulcata in his enclosure, due to the fact that he is still fairly young and could flip over inside the bowl. Since the water bowl is not kept in it, there it never a mess. I just soak him twice a day for 30 minutes. Coconut fiber is a really good substrate.

mikayydee

5 Year Member
I had asked where I bought it from but it seems like no one knows about tortoise, and I just say ok thanks. But I think it better than the alfalfa I had. Thanks for your opinion!

Masin

5 Year Member
North Florida
Agreed. I plant seeds in ours like a lot of folks do, that's another reason I like it. Also, I mist mine daily to keep it damp on the warmer side as well as run the humidifier.
Glad you switched from alfalfa, your little one needs lots of humidity and will thank you for the burrowing it's able to do now!
I dunno how thick folks like to layer theirs. My thinnest spot is maybe 2-2.5 inches, the burrows are way deeper though.

lovelyrosepetal

5 Year Member
Oklahoma
Just a personal opinion but even with daily soaks I would keep the water dish in the enclosure. I use a terra cotta planter dish and have never had a problem with mine falling in. Mine are a little over two months and just under two months and I have never had a problem with them falling in. Mine will even go inside their water dish and soak on their own. I think it is so cute. I use the coco coir and mine seem to like it really well.:)

JoesMum

10 Year Member!
Kent, South East England
lovelyrosepetal said:
Just a personal opinion but even with daily soaks I would keep the water dish in the enclosure. I use a terra cotta planter dish and have never had a problem with mine falling in. Mine are a little over two months and just under two months and I have never had a problem with them falling in. Mine will even go inside their water dish and soak on their own. I think it is so cute. I use the coco coir and mine seem to like it really well.:)

I completely agree. A tortoise should have constant access to water. Soaks are in addition not a replacement.

As for tipping over, the sooner any tort learns to scramble and climb safely the better. Put items in that they can climb up and fall off... they do work it out. If you can't be around for more than a couple of hours to keep an eye on things take them out, but leave the water. Torts have to handle these things in the wild.

Sorry for taking this off topic

mikayydee

5 Year Member
So I've been keeping an eye on my tortoise and it seems like she likes the new bedding but Everytime she goes in her shell and back out she has it all on her face and it Bugs her :/ so I decided to add a little alfalfa on half of her bedding, and a little space just of coconut fiber bedding, Idk if that would kind help. I've had my tortoise for 8 months but when I got her she wasn't too tiny so Im calculating she about 1 year. Do they start doing the burrows you guys mention that young?

Masin

5 Year Member
North Florida
mikayydee said:
So I've been keeping an eye on my tortoise and it seems like she likes the new bedding but Everytime she goes in her shell and back out she has it all on her face and it Bugs her :/ so I decided to add a little alfalfa on half of her bedding, and a little space just of coconut fiber bedding, Idk if that would kind help. I've had my tortoise for 8 months but when I got her she wasn't too tiny so Im calculating she about 1 year. Do they start doing the burrows you guys mention that young?

I create one (a burrow) and ours finishes it :) I have her hides on deeper coco coir than the rest and I dig it out a touch, she jumps in and tunnels as she pleases. I find mine doesn't get too dirty on the coco coir but also I soak and mist her daily. Be careful of the alfalfa molding.

lovelyrosepetal

5 Year Member
Oklahoma
I have heard lots of people who have a lot of experience say not to use alfalfa pellets. It is too dry and can cause problems. People here like a variety of things but the coco coir, or the coconut fiber is highly recommended. I would just wash the substrate off and your tort should be fine. You want to keep your substrate moist, the air humid and the temperatures hot. Check out Toms threads on pyramiding and hatchling care and that should give you more knowledge and great ideas on how to care for your tort. I hope this helps!:) Good Luck with your enclosure.

terzula

5 Year Member
I also use the terra cotta planter dishes and like them a lot. I only have the one young Sulcata but I use two dishes at different sites of her indoor caging. She messes them something awfull, but they clean easy.

Vegasarah

5 Year Member
eframcas said:
Personally, I love the coconut fiber substrate. In my opinion, it is really good because it can hold moisture for longer periods of time. Even when the top layer of the coconut substrate is dry, the little torts can always dig and find moisture underneath. Although the torts get a little messy with it, it should not deter you from using it. I personally don't have a water bowl for my Sulcata in his enclosure, due to the fact that he is still fairly young and could flip over inside the bowl. Since the water bowl is not kept in it, there it never a mess. I just soak him twice a day for 30 minutes. Coconut fiber is a really good substrate.

Not to take this off topic, but you need to make sure you change this. Your tort needs access to water 24/7. Access to water for 30 minutes a day is not enough, you could seriously risk the life of your tortoise by denying him water. You should be able to find a terra cotta saucer that is shallow enough for your tort. I had a similar concern when I got my sulcata, but I have seen him tip over hear/ in it and he can get himself back out with a little trying. I stood by and watched, and the saucer is not deep enough where his head would go under water anyway. You have to let them learn their limits, and denial of water is dangerous for their health. If you still don't trust the terra cotta saucer, use a jar lid or something even more shallow. So shallow that if you pick him up and flip him over and place him in the dish his head would never go under water. Self-soaking is a very important part of tortoise health. I'm sure other will agree with me on this one.

Back on topic- Coconut fiber is a great substrate, and is also great for planting seeds in for grazing. It helps keep up the humidity. And don't worry too much about the tiny little bits stuck to her, she probably doesn't actually care as much as you think it does. What I do is I put my squirt bottle onto a stronger stream and spray those bits and they come right off :)

Status
Not open for further replies.