New!! Beginner!

Seshaw2

Hi everyone! I have been reading on here a bunch before actually posting. I'm looking to get my first tortoise (!) sometime in July or August once I get home from vacation. My husband and I will be building a table for it, about 8x3 or 4'. We live in South West, Virginia and I would love recommendations for breeds. So far I'm thinking either Russian on Red Foot- will be indoors mostly but with summer outdoor time. Any info, advice, and also reliable vendors would be great! Thanks!

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Hello and Welcome. Russians are a great beginner tort. We have a few breeders on here. Check out the for sale section. If I remember correctly, there are some for sale now. The 4x8 table would be best as a minimum. Also read the caresheets as Russians do need humidity

dannylozano10

San Antonio,tx
Will your tort be able to be outside what is the weather like year round ? 8x4 is a great size for 1 Russian!!

Linhdan Nguyen

Maryland
Hello from Maryland! I have russians, they're great ! Are you looking for a hatchling or adult?

Seshaw2

Probably a hatchling but not super super young if that makes sense. The weather in the summer here is usually 80-90s but we have cold snaps so keeping it outside permanently will not be an option. I will take it out when weather is nice but indoors 75% of the time probably

Linhdan Nguyen

Maryland
Yes that makes sense, probably one thats a year or a little older then? Russian love to dig, and are great climbers, so make sure the sides are tall enough so they cant climb out of, and a good couple of inches to dig in :)