New Bells Hinge backs

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tortoise

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Canada
Hello
I'm new here and was advised to post in this specific area for answers.
Yesterday I picked up 2 Bells Hinge Back tortoises, they are super. I know for sure I have a boy because he showed me whilst he was being bathed! The other one I really do not know yet. I really hope I have a pair but will be happy regardless. It would be great to be able to support this species by helping them to breed successfully in captivity.

As I am new to this species I was wondering if you had any advice regarding their care, tortoise enclosures, best conditions etc?
Right now they are in a vivarium but they will be moved to a home made tortoise table when we have designed something.

My red foots are in a home made table the size of a twin bed so have lots of room to roam.

Wondering too about the insect part of the diet and how best to meet this especially during the winter when we can't hunt worms. I can get meal worms etc occasionally but being rural we are not in a major city for them often enough. My Red foots get a bit of rehydrated cat food occasionally-would that be suitable too?
Would you please take a look at photos of my Bells and see if you think you could sex the one in question?
Looking forward to hearing from you.
thank you!

Jacqui

Wanna be raiser of Lemon Drop tortoises
10 Year Member!
A Land Far Away...
Sorry, if you posted pictures, they are not showing.

Tortoise

10 Year Member!
Canada
Jacqui said:
Hi Jacqui
Sorry I hadn't attached any yet as I wasn't sure how to
Louise
1044k83_20.jpeg2487g50_20.jpeg1318fni_20.jpeg2922i9d_20.jpeg

Tortoise said:
Jacqui said:
Hi Jacqui
Sorry I hadn't attached any yet as I wasn't sure how to
Louise
These are photos taken in their previous home I'll take some new ones today especially of their underside to hopefully get opinions on their sex.
Thanks
9172b52_20.jpeg70634c0_20.jpeg

Last edited by a moderator:

Jacqui

10 Year Member!
A Land Far Away...
Well you have the picture posting down well now! :) Like I said in the email last night, glad you bought them as they both look very nice. Look forward to seeing the next pictures!

Jacqui

dmarcus

5 Year Member
Las Vegas, NV
Don't know anything about that particular tortoise, but they both look very good..

Tortoise

10 Year Member!
Canada
Jacqui said:
Well you have the picture posting down well now! :) Like I said in the email last night, glad you bought them as they both look very nice. Look forward to seeing the next pictures!

Jacqui

P6140316.JPGP6140317.JPGP6140312.JPGP6140313.JPG

Ok I hope these are clear enough.
Thanks in advance
Louise

Tortoise said:
Jacqui said:

Jacqui

Thanks in advance
Louise

Hi again
I just took a couple more photos of them side by side
Louise
P6140001.JPGP6140003.JPGP6140002.JPGP6140004.JPG

Last edited by a moderator:

OperaticAddict

5 Year Member
Clermont, FL
Tortoise said:
Jacqui said:

Jacqui

Thanks in advance
Louise

Tortoise said:
Jacqui said:

Jacqui

Thanks in advance
Louise

Hi again
I just took a couple more photos of them side by side
Louise

Nice looking Torts! Welcome to the forum!

CJSTorts

5 Year Member
Jacksonville,FL
They both look male to me. They are also pretty young, since it looks like neither of them has formed their hinge yet.

Jacqui

10 Year Member!
A Land Far Away...
Louise, I really hope I am wrong, but I think you have two males. Almost looks like they may have had some shell rot (or is that just how the picture is making it seem?).

Tortoise

10 Year Member!
Canada
Thanks for all your opinions on the sex.
I value your opinions but hoping you are wrong!!!:D:D

One thing though the one in question hasn't flashed me yet (the other one has twice now) and doesn't have the slight cave in its shell.Its hard to show that on the photos , or maybe I'm too excited and just hoped for a pair!

Well rest assured I'm really going to enjoy these guys whatever. I have to say that in all my years with tortoises I have not been pooped and peed on so many times.I have been bugging them by photographing their bits and pieces-I guess its their revenge!!

They eat well and will take food from hands too so not as shy as I had anticipated-these were captive bred too so have had a few years to get used to people.

Thanks again everyone for the support.

Louise:tort::tort::tort:

Status
Not open for further replies.