New Brazilian - M/F ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Redfoot NERD

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Tennessee
OK - all you wannabe's, thinkuare's and old Pro's..
36_2_531.gif

Help this "old & confused" [ yeh you heard me ]?

The other day I acquired this young just 7 inches Brazilian.. liked the carapace { I can live with the little bumpiness }..

NEWBRC.jpg

NEWBRRFC.jpg

I realize at 7".. that right at that age.. things start happening.

For example - [ besides the alpha breeder male ] the 2nd Male is 7 1/4".. and plastron concavity is starting to show. The usual wide anal scutes and long ( 'thinner' ) tail is obvious..

2BRP.jpg

NOT with the new one. No concavity ( which is usually the last thing to show - usually ).. the anal scutes are 'wider'.. but the tail is extremely HUGE/ROUND at the base and not that long(?)!

BUT during the time of cleaning and handling and taking the pics must have been aggravating. Do you see what I see? No sign.. until just then.. surprize!!!

NEWBRP.jpg

Nerd

cdmay

10 Year Member!
Somewhere in Florida
Male all the way...even without the surprise ending.
You will find that males of the cherryhead race typically have MUCH shorter and stubbier tails than their northern counterparts.
Also, I have seen numerous male cherryheads with fairly shallow plastron concavities as well. Not all of them fit this description of course, but it seems that most do.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
When I saw that picture in the "for sale" section, I just knew that it was one you would be interested in. I love the marbling too.

Yvonne

Redfoot NERD

10 Year Member!
Tennessee
emysemys said:
When I saw that picture in the "for sale" section, I just knew that it was one you would be interested in. I love the marbling too.

Yvonne

Actually Yvonne he came from Carolyn who had acquired a half dozen of the best '07 & '08's that I hatched.. [ not cherryheads ]! I'm "fostering" them for her for the next year until she finishes her Medical training. She wants to keep 2 of them and I'll sell the rest for her.. and of course she wants cherryhead hatchlings in exchange for the male - I'm just too easy!

This is one of her '07's.. [ then ]..

8CR2041.jpg

( Maybe I'll get current pics of them )

Terry K

cdmay said:
Male all the way...even without the surprise ending.
You will find that males of the cherryhead race typically have MUCH shorter and stubbier tails than their northern counterparts.
Also, I have seen numerous male cherryheads with fairly shallow plastron concavities as well. Not all of them fit this description of course, but it seems that most do.

Thanks to one of the ( I consider the only here ) old pro's.. what I almost suspected has been confirmed. The confusion came from the "2nd male" { an '05 } which was raised from a hatchling and didn't have that ENORMOUS anal bulge.. proving once again there's always exceptions and extremes! Some years back Carl told me that keeping redfoot tortoises is an ongoing learning process. Of course the basics are the basics!

And yes it has become very obvious how the Northerns' plastron becomes more deeply concave as they age.. in comparison with my Brazilian male at a similar age.

Terry K

Bryan

10 Year Member!
Very nice marbling on his carapace. Any idea of how old he is Terry?

Redfoot NERD

10 Year Member!
Tennessee
Bryan said:
Very nice marbling on his carapace. Any idea of how old he is Terry?

Yeah.. I thot so too! It's more common for the marbling to show best between 18-24 months. Carolyn figures he is an early '05 hatchling.. according to who she got him from - which lines up with my '05's also! The 2nd male hatched in March '05 [ Carl would know ].. 7 1/4" SCL. I'm anxious to see how long that marbling stays.. and I'm really glad he's a he!!!

Terry K

Status
Not open for further replies.