Katamari.Sweetheart

Location (City and/or State)
Twentynine Palms
Hello, I’ve just rescued a baby desert tortoise (gopherus agassizii), gifted from an accidental captive clutch. I’m applying for a permit. I’m new to tortoise keeping and want to make sure I’m doing the best I can for my little guy. I noticed that he has a lot of debris and crust around his eyes, it seems to change day-to-day. I’ve had him for just 9 days. He eats very well (organic kale, dandelion greens, Timothy hay) and is active. I was told to not let him hibernate for at least three years. I allow him to bask in the sun in a covered hutch during the warm hours, then he has a red basking light in his indoor enclosure. Has access to hot side and cool side, and hides. He has access to water all the time. I let him soak in warm water yesterday, and used a super soft toothbrush to gently clean his shell and to try and remove dry flakey skin around his eyes...so I wonder if I made it worse by irritating his eyes? What can I be doing better? Thank you in advance!!

Attachments

• 236EB6DA-7FF3-4A24-8DB2-B1C8CE3A691B.jpeg
    236EB6DA-7FF3-4A24-8DB2-B1C8CE3A691B.jpeg
    409.4 KB · Views: 12
  • E64D4423-BC6F-48B4-AC51-42F658018F79.jpeg
    E64D4423-BC6F-48B4-AC51-42F658018F79.jpeg
    1 MB · Views: 12

Yossarian

5 Year Member
Wales
Pics of his enclosure pls. At that age, soak it daily for a half hour. you dont need to use a toothbrush to remove flaky skin.

Katamari.Sweetheart

Twentynine Palms
Thank you! Enclosure pics coming soon. Just looked through forums and found very comprehensive guides to desert tortoise care where I did read about soaking daily. He looks better already after that and it will become part of our routine.