New California Desert Tortoise guardian

Status
Not open for further replies.

lorirosales

5 Year Member
Hello,
My name is Lori and as of today, I am a new California Desert Tortoise guardian. Although, I have many animals in my household, these beautiful babies are new to me.

I have already requested permit applications from The California Dept of Fish and Game and have done a lot of research on their diet.

I joined this group to be able to ask questions as they arise.

The first question would be...housing! I would like to know just how to make these babies comfrotable and safe. I have a very safe enclosed yard that they may roam around in during the day. I have supplied them with a shallow container for water drinking and basking.

At night, they will in a chain link dog kennel with a dog house for shelter. I have put leaves in the bottom of the dog house for comfort and warmth.

I have a list of veggies and fruits that they are able to eat from the California Turtle and Tortoise Club. I would like to know about suppliments. I have heard boiled egg shells are a great source of calcium for their growing shells.

I guess thats all for starters. PLEASE feel free to give me any and all advice you may have. I strive to learn and build knowledge of each animal I become a guardian of. It is my job to keep them happy, healthy & safe.

Thanks in advance,
-Lori

dmmj

The member formerly known as captain awesome
10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
CA
Welcome
Little to no fruits or vegetables. you want a diet that includes flowers, leaves, and other plant matter ( no fruit or vegetables or up to 5% of their diet) some people use ground up egg shells, I prefer the cuttle bones from the pet store or the feed store where they are cheaper. The CF&G will most likely direct you to your local CTTC (California Turtle and tortoise Club) Since the chapters are the ones doing all licensing now.

M

Maggie Cummings

They don't eat fruit or veggies, they are herbivores and should graze on grasses and weeds, squash is a good treat. If you have babies they are too little to live in a dog house outside.
So as far as housing goes we need to know more about the actual animals...Why don't you tell us about them? Then we can advise you on how to keep them. I can't imagine CTTC said they could eat fruit...Welcome to TFO...:)

Torty Mom

5 Year Member
Bakersfield, California
:D Welcome to TFO!! I have CDT hatchlings also!! You say babies how many did you get? They are soooo cute and a blast to watch!! What part of California are you from?

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Hi Lori:

Welcome to the forum!!

May we know where you are?

lorirosales

5 Year Member
Hello again everyone,
I live in Santa Clarita (Southern California) near Magic Mountain.
I'm not sure of the age of my tortoises as I have obtained them from an acquaintance that did not know their ages either. They had them for awhile so I know that they are not very young. They are approximately 12 and 14" long. Both are males.
The CTTC has stated on their website that "if limited in growing foods, suppliment their diet with endive, escarole, chopped carrots, small amounts of kale, romaine and other dark leafy vegetables."
On another website, I can't remember the exact one, there was a list of fruits and veggies. That website also stated that these tortoises like sprouts from sunflower, pinto, lentils & peas.
I welcome any corrections to what I have read. That is why I joined this group.
Currently, it is very cool in Santa Clarita. I haven't let the tortoises stay outside at night. They wander & forage the back yard during the day and are brought in at night. Are there any temperature requirements? They have a dog house that they can retreat to when it's too hot or too cold. Is it safe for them to be out in temps about 40 degrees?
Thanks much,
-Lori
BTW...I already went out and bought the cuttle bone. The hard outter layer was removed.

DeanS

SULCATA OASIS
10 Year Member!
SoCal
Welcome Lori! Looks like you've already done most of your homework! Lotsa folks here to help you out! There is a wealth of knowledge to be had...take advantage of it!

BTW...they love cactus! Here's a great link if you don't already grow your own...

www.rivenrock.com

Status
Not open for further replies.