New, considering a tortoise and have questions

Mrr

Location (City and/or State)
Abbotsford
Hey there,

So I've been debating getting myself a smaller sized tortoise for a while now, but I need more information before I decide whether or not to jump into this. That being said I have a few questions which I hope can be answered on here :)

The first is.. which kind? I'm leaning more towards either a Russian tortoise or a Hermann's tortoise.. but I'd love to hear what you guys think. Are Russians much bigger than Hermanns? Which would you say has the "better" personality?

Are these guys communal? Should I be getting more than one or does it matter?

Also.. Where I'm living now would require it to be an indoor pet. I've read that rubbermaid tubs can be used.. Is this acceptable? Should I choose to build one from furniture instead, what is the size requirement for one?

Anything else I should consider?

That's all for now.. Thank you all for the help!

ZEROPILOT

REDFOOT WRANGLER
Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
South Eastern Florida (U.S.A.)/Rock Hill S.C.
Russians are very active and full of character. Very scrappy.
Herman's are slightly more calm.
The size is similar.
Both will need a larger enclosure than you might be aware (4'x4' for a baby)as well as a special UV light and a heat source.
Read up about each and see what is the best fit.

Mrr

Abbotsford
Russians are very active and full of character. Very scrappy.
Herman's are slightly more calm.
The size is similar.
Both will need a larger enclosure than you might be aware (4'x4' for a baby)as well as a special UV light and a heat source.
Read up about each and see what is the best fit.
Thank you! I've been asking around and am thinking that I'm now leaning towards a Hermanns.. Although further input is still welcomed :)

I've been searching the indoor enclosure posts and saw one about converting a bookshelf into an enclosure by removing the shelves and laying it horizontally. I actually have a spare bookshelf at my house that I might do this with.. I think it would provide much more room and ventilation than a tub. Thoughts?

I'm now just trying to decide where to get one ?

ZEROPILOT

REDFOOT WRANGLER
Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
South Eastern Florida (U.S.A.)/Rock Hill S.C.
Thank you! I've been asking around and am thinking that I'm now leaning towards a Hermanns.. Although further input is still welcomed :)

I've been searching the indoor enclosure posts and saw one about converting a bookshelf into an enclosure by removing the shelves and laying it horizontally. I actually have a spare bookshelf at my house that I might do this with.. I think it would provide much more room and ventilation than a tub. Thoughts?

I'm now just trying to decide where to get one ?
Book cases will work.
Attach a shower curtain liner or pond liner UNDERNEATH the substrate that you use to prevent the water you'll need from acting on the wood.
(Unless it's a plastic book case)