New Custodian To A Mojave Desert Tortoise (picture)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mojaverocco

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Southern Nevada
New owner of a baby Nevada Desert Tortoise

Well I got Rocco (tortoises name) about 1 week ago and I live in southern Nevada. Rocco is 6 months old and is just too cute. My neighbors desert tortoise had babys but they don't have a male so they were shocked. They happened to give me one. I love Rocco now and we have built him an outside house and he also has an inside tank for when it's really cold at night-time.
Richard
Nevada[/font]

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    692.4 KB · Views: 26

Mojaverocco

5 Year Member
Southern Nevada
I recently adopted a 6 month old Mojave Desert Tortoise. His name is Rocco. He lives outside for the morning but put here in Southern Nevada it has been really cold at night so he has an inside tank for night time. It seems the only problem I've had so far is that he tries to climb up the side of the glass inside tank, and he flippes on his back. Other than that every thing is great! I do have school so the only thing I was wondering was how long can they last on there backs?

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    692.4 KB · Views: 16

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
RE: New owner of a baby Nevada Desert Tortoise

Hi Richard, and welcome to the Forum!

Please read the threads in the Sulcata section on how to raise baby sulcata tortoises. Baby desert tortoises require similar care. Reason I mention this is because Rocco looks quite dry. But he sure is a cutie pie.

Mojaverocco

5 Year Member
Southern Nevada
RE: New owner of a baby Nevada Desert Tortoise

He usually is in his water bowl basking in there i don't know why he would look dry, i think its just the way the sun was shining on him or idk, but he was in red sand before, i know that your not supposed to put them in sand but that is just where he goes when temperatures drop below 40. He lives in the natural dirt no fertilizer, dirt i got from my yard :) Thanks for your advise! :tort: :tort: :cool:
emysemys said:
Hi Richard, and welcome to the Forum!

Please read the threads in the Sulcata section on how to raise baby sulcata tortoises. Baby desert tortoises require similar care. Reason I mention this is because Rocco looks quite dry. But he sure is a cutie pie.

He usually is in his water bowl basking in there i don't know why he would look dry, i think its just the way the sun was shining on him or idk, but he was in red sand before, i know that your not supposed to put them in sand but that is just where he goes when temperatures drop below 40. He lives in the natural dirt no fertilizer, dirt i got from my yard :) :rolleyes:
wellington said:
Hello and Welcome:) I agree with emysemys, looking dry.

Laura

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Foothills above Sacramento CA
how long did your neighbors have the female? I know they can lay fertile eggs for a while after being with a male.. but not sure how long...

Mojaverocco

5 Year Member
Southern Nevada
They had her for about a year I think? But I do believe the female can hold the sperm for 15 years.
Laura said:
how long did your neighbors have the female? I know they can lay fertile eggs for a while after being with a male.. but not sure how long...

Status
Not open for further replies.