new eastern baby male with a strange tail

Status
Not open for further replies.

Diana Stone

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
I just adopted a 3-4 year old baby who has a strange tail knob. The tail itself is normal looking but on the top is a knob. Kinda hard to explain. almost like an extra tip but in the middle of the tail on top. Anyone got any thoughts or has anyone seen this before? Also his left rear foot, center toenail is really long compared to the others. The right is kinda the same way but not near as bad. Thoughts? From what I was told I am the third caretaker of this poor little boy. He was being fed commercial turtle food and iceberg lettuce mainly. Did not have uvb or proper heat nor proper substrate for at least a year and a half. Pretty sure. But even with that he does not look bad. He really relished the big ol' worm he had today. yum!

Diana Stone

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
I took another look at his tail and it appears that the tip is in the wrong place. The end of his tail is a nub and the tip is up where it should not be. Funny thing is I have a female(?) 3 toed with a deformed tail also. Her tip however is about where it should be but its not pointed and it looks like it was pushed into the end of the tail. Weird.

JustAnja

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Arkansas
I seemed to have read somewhere that that is caused from poor nutrition. I have a male that I was certain was a female because of a really short nubby tail but he has proven me wrong since waking up from hibernation. lol

Diana Stone

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
JustAnja said:
I seemed to have read somewhere that that is caused from poor nutrition. I have a male that I was certain was a female because of a really short nubby tail but he has proven me wrong since waking up from hibernation. lol

Well would seem to make sense with these two turltes. Matilda's shell is lumpy. Maybe she is a he?! Poor Peanut has had three caretakers in three years. Maybe he is a she?! The first two were children and unkowing adults.
hmmm :D

Status
Not open for further replies.