New Eastern Hermann on the way- Advice please

Domm

Location (City and/or State)
PA
Hi!

About two months ago I purchased a terminally ill russian tortoise from PetsSmart, after several vet visits it couldn't make it and passed away. I loved having my first tortoise and was very upset. Today I purchased a one month old Eastern Hermanns from a great breeder. It will be here in two weeks. If anyone can give me detailed information on not only how to care for a Hermanns but especially one so small? I read forums and how to pages but I always get better advice on here. The breeder said this is a hardy tortoise and requires the same day to day care as a russian. I do live in PA so the weather is cold half of the year, the enclosure will be inside. On nice sunny days i'm sure we can take supervised visits to the yard?

Any advice would be amazing, i'm sure i can use some equiptment i had for the russian but I want to be fully prepared when the baby gets here.

Thank you

Braeden p

Pottstown PA
Hey I’m in pa and could maybe give you some stuff, so what county are you from

iAmCentrochelys sulcata

Alief
Basically it is the same care as the russian, make sure to keep it warm and hydrated with a humid environment. Good luck!
Keep us updated, I also have a Herman's Tortoise!

Domm

PA
Basically it is the same care as the russian, make sure to keep it warm and hydrated with a humid environment. Good luck!
Keep us updated, I also have a Herman's Tortoise!

That;s great to know, I have the repti sun UVB light then a day light, is that enough? I also feel like sometimes my house is colder and dry , any suggestions on how to keep humidity just right?

CTolino3

Bangor, PA
I am near the scranton area
I’m in the Lehigh valley area, and am looking at getting an eastern Hermanns. I’m interested in seeing what everyone has to say about it. I am also looking for a reputable breeder in this area, but I keep seeing online stores. Where did you get your from?

Domm

PA
I’m in the Lehigh valley area, and am looking at getting an eastern Hermanns. I’m interested in seeing what everyone has to say about it. I am also looking for a reputable breeder in this area, but I keep seeing online stores. Where did you get your from?

Hey I ordered from this website, he's amazing. https://www.tortstork.com/product-category/tortoise-hatchlings/

I chose this breed because they stay fairly small, he assured me for people like us living in a colder climate this breed would be a good fit.

My little guy isn't shipping out until the end of May-June. I am weary of getting a hatchling because they're so fragile. I was hoping someone on here could me detailed directions on care/set up for a baby.

Domm

PA
I go through Scranton to get to my grandmas and grandpas farm up in Bradford county. May when this blows over I could give you some of Betty’s old stuff.

That would be amazing, for now stay safe my friend!

Braeden p

Pottstown PA
If you have pet smarts near you they have Russians sometimes, traveled to 3 before finding Betty

iAmCentrochelys sulcata

Alief
Get a T
That;s great to know, I have the repti sun UVB light then a day light, is that enough? I also feel like sometimes my house is colder and dry , any suggestions on how to keep humidity just right?
get a T5 UVB and get a tote with a lid the humidity stays high. And maintain temperature. I’ll link the care for your Tortoise

CTolino3

Bangor, PA
Hey I ordered from this website, he's amazing. https://www.tortstork.com/product-category/tortoise-hatchlings/

I chose this breed because they stay fairly small, he assured me for people like us living in a colder climate this breed would be a good fit.

My little guy isn't shipping out until the end of May-June. I am weary of getting a hatchling because they're so fragile. I was hoping someone on here could me detailed directions on care/set up for a baby.
Yeah, I had a red foot hatchling pass on me a ways back. His heat and humidity were good, gave him the right food, gave him daily warm soaks, and for some reason he just passed. That’s why I’m looking into getting an older tortoise than a hatchling

Braeden p

Pottstown PA
Yeah, I had a red foot hatchling pass on me a ways back. His heat and humidity were good, gave him the right food, gave him daily warm soaks, and for some reason he just passed. That’s why I’m looking into getting an older tortoise than a hatchling
check out petsmart if you can they have grown Russians

iAmCentrochelys sulcata

Alief
Don’t take the advise of @Braeden p
Do not buy a Tortoise from petsmart they are wild-caught and often cared badly you can’t tell where they come from and how healthy they are.

CTolino3

Bangor, PA
Don’t take the advise of @Braeden p
Do not buy a Tortoise from petsmart they are wild-caught and often cared badly you can’t tell where they come from and how healthy they are.
yeah I’ve heard they have wild caught tortoises. My sister had gotten a Russian from our local PetSmart, she says it’s not very friendly. I told her that they need to interact with it more, and that it could have been a wild caught one. I’m really interested in a Hermanns or Marginated.

KarenSoCal

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Low desert 50 mi SE of Palm Springs CA
Hi, and welcome to the forum!
Start with these 3 links. Once you get the basics from them, we will be happy with any questions or details you're not sure of.

BTW, I am from PA, born and lived in York for my 1st 50 years.

Sa Ga

MN
Hi!

About two months ago I purchased a terminally ill russian tortoise from PetsSmart, after several vet visits it couldn't make it and passed away. I loved having my first tortoise and was very upset. Today I purchased a one month old Eastern Hermanns from a great breeder. It will be here in two weeks. If anyone can give me detailed information on not only how to care for a Hermanns but especially one so small? I read forums and how to pages but I always get better advice on here. The breeder said this is a hardy tortoise and requires the same day to day care as a russian. I do live in PA so the weather is cold half of the year, the enclosure will be inside. On nice sunny days i'm sure we can take supervised visits to the yard?

Any advice would be amazing, i'm sure i can use some equipment i had for the russian but I want to be fully prepared when the baby gets here.

Thank you

I feel your sorrow! I adopted Morla, my Russian tort, from Petsmart. About a month later, she got critically sick. After a veterinarian hospital stay, she was stabilized, but was diagnosed w/ CKD which is ultimately incurable and eventually her kidneys will fail.

I was absolutely DEVASTATED. What should have been a free rescue and life long pet, became my million dollar baby w/ borrowed time!

She is still alive and (relatively) well. But it is just so tragic that her CKD was likely caused by chronic dehydration/incorrect care in her previous home. At the point I got her, the daily soaks were just not enough to counter what was covertly progressing and I was too "green" to the reptile world to catch the subtle clues. I now tube feed her hydration 3x daily along with her daily soak, and it has made a huge difference!!!

The come away lessons here:
1.) Keep your baby well-hydrated at all times. Young'ins need long daily soaks, water kept lukewarm throughout entire soak.
2.) Keep humidity and temp in correct range at all times. Esp when they're young this is vital, but obviously, it can matter w/ adults too (Morla is an adult).
3.) Get to know your critter's normal patterns: activity level, potty habits (timing, size/appearance, amt of urates generally released per time), sounds and movements (Morla squeaks and/or gurgles loudly while she eats an esp wet leaf or pellet, then pulls her head partly in and sits very still for about 10 seconds--it scared me, but that is just normal for her), eating (amt, preferences, tricks to get her to eat new things/more stuff she should). NOTE: Because I can have a terrible memory, I track things daily (potty, feedings, any odd/good/new things or trends) in a notebook. This may be helpful as you get to know your little ibe's patterns.
4.) Get to know general things to watch out for (wheezing, nasal/mouth discharge, normal vs abnormal activities, urate amt and quality in the pee, etc.).
5.) FIND A GREAT, EXPERIENCED TORT VET RIGHT AWAY! You don't want to be scurrying to find one when the little guy's already sick!
6.) Keep in mind that there are going to be many pieces of info out there--always be careful to consider your source, cross-reference, AND recognize that your little guy is his own person, so within reason, there may be variances within that advice that works for you and not necessarily for others. (Ex - Everyone loves Reptibark or cypress mulch. My Morla tries to eat it. So what works for many, I can't safely use for mine. Ex2 - Most say keep adult Russie's night temps in the 70's. Morla doesn't digest well enough and would poop out very soft, foody poops. Once I kept a CHE on for her, she started having normal poos, and she happily lays under it at night, rather than seeking out the cooler temp area (that is about 72-74 F).

I'm so sorry your first little one didn't make it. Best wishes w/ your new baby, and keep us posted! ?

Domm

PA
Hi, and welcome to the forum!
Start with these 3 links. Once you get the basics from them, we will be happy with any questions or details you're not sure of.

BTW, I am from PA, born and lived in York for my 1st 50 years.

thank you so much ! I am going to print these out. From your experience living in the tr-state area all of your turtles are happy and healthy inside? I am mostly worried because I am getting a small hatchling and I know how fragile they are.

Domm

PA
I feel your sorrow! I adopted Morla, my Russian tort, from Petsmart. About a month later, she got critically sick. After a veterinarian hospital stay, she was stabilized, but was diagnosed w/ CKD which is ultimately incurable and eventually her kidneys will fail.

I was absolutely DEVASTATED. What should have been a free rescue and life long pet, became my million dollar baby w/ borrowed time!

She is still alive and (relatively) well. But it is just so tragic that her CKD was likely caused by chronic dehydration/incorrect care in her previous home. At the point I got her, the daily soaks were just not enough to counter what was covertly progressing and I was too "green" to the reptile world to catch the subtle clues. I now tube feed her hydration 3x daily along with her daily soak, and it has made a huge difference!!!

The come away lessons here:
1.) Keep your baby well-hydrated at all times. Young'ins need long daily soaks, water kept lukewarm throughout entire soak.
2.) Keep humidity and temp in correct range at all times. Esp when they're young this is vital, but obviously, it can matter w/ adults too (Morla is an adult).
3.) Get to know your critter's normal patterns: activity level, potty habits (timing, size/appearance, amt of urates generally released per time), sounds and movements (Morla squeaks and/or gurgles loudly while she eats an esp wet leaf or pellet, then pulls her head partly in and sits very still for about 10 seconds--it scared me, but that is just normal for her), eating (amt, preferences, tricks to get her to eat new things/more stuff she should). NOTE: Because I can have a terrible memory, I track things daily (potty, feedings, any odd/good/new things or trends) in a notebook. This may be helpful as you get to know your little ibe's patterns.
4.) Get to know general things to watch out for (wheezing, nasal/mouth discharge, normal vs abnormal activities, urate amt and quality in the pee, etc.).
5.) FIND A GREAT, EXPERIENCED TORT VET RIGHT AWAY! You don't want to be scurrying to find one when the little guy's already sick!
6.) Keep in mind that there are going to be many pieces of info out there--always be careful to consider your source, cross-reference, AND recognize that your little guy is his own person, so within reason, there may be variances within that advice that works for you and not necessarily for others. (Ex - Everyone loves Reptibark or cypress mulch. My Morla tries to eat it. So what works for many, I can't safely use for mine. Ex2 - Most say keep adult Russie's night temps in the 70's. Morla doesn't digest well enough and would poop out very soft, foody poops. Once I kept a CHE on for her, she started having normal poos, and she happily lays under it at night, rather than seeking out the cooler temp area (that is about 72-74 F).

I'm so sorry your first little one didn't make it. Best wishes w/ your new baby, and keep us posted! ?

My heart goes out to you too, I only had her a short amount of time but I was crushed when she passed. I think no matter how long you take care of a pet you grow to love them. I am wishing the best for your little guy Morla is lucky to have you. It's very sad that with all of the law suits against Pets Smart they haven't been stopped yet.

I can't wait to get the little hatchling I am just very uneasy because they are so fragile, and my last experience was less than pleasant .