New enclosure and some questions

Status
Not open for further replies.

anniiie321

5 Year Member
Hello :)

I have a juvenile redfoot named Lucy. I just built her this new enclosure (still needs some essentials [lighting, water etc.] i know haha) Lately i have been wondering what to do about heat at night? Her old enclosure was once used for a bearded dragon and so it had a undertank heater which i couldnt remove.. i know this isnt the best for tortoises, which i why i built her this, but she seemed to like the undertank heater? and i was wondering.. should i buy a 'night light' -- one of those blue or red lights that emits some heat for nighttime? because otherwise she only has her daylight heat lamp.

I have been reading stuff on this forum and on various sites and she seems to be doing very well, I haven't had any major problems. I have recently noticed that she seems to be alot hungrier than normal.. i am wondering if i am feeding her enough for her age/size. I got her when she was a yearling and was feeding her accordingly and increased her intake a bit when she grew significantly but haven't changed it much since.. she is now about 5.5 - 6 inches and i really don't know what amount is considered healthy/proper.

Thank you :)

Attachments

• new.jpg
    new.jpg
    351.7 KB · Views: 65

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Clovis, CA
Hi Annie:

Your habitat is very nice, but it looks a little bare. Can you add a few more plants?

If you think your tortoise needs more food, that's fine. Its ok to give her more.

I have a heat strip that's made to put under plant seedling trays that I use under my baby leopard tortoises. I think it would be ok to use it for your redfoot. It brings up the heat through the moist substrate and that helps to keep the air humid. Some people will say that its not good to have "belly" heat with tortoises, but I really see nothing wrong with it. Its just a matter of opinion.

LindaF

5 Year Member
Perhaps you can learn from one of my mistakes. You might look at replacing one side of the screen top with plexiglas. It will help with keeping the heat in and humidity. I have a CHE I keep on over the hide area to keep up temps. I had a zoo med spot light on the other side for increased heat during the day. I've since replaced that with an infrared bulb and have noticed a lot more activity in my red foot.

Madkins007

10 Year Member!
Nebraska
Nice looking place- I am sure it will be fabulous when it is finished!

Subsoil heating is not only OK, I think it is almost the only way many of us further north can accomplish our goals. The Basic Housing section of my under-construction site www.tortoiselibrary.com has some information that may help you with that.

The KEYS to heating from below are-
1. Make sure it never gets hot. Some heaters can get really hot if they fail.
2. Follow directions. Many in-soil heaters, for example, want you to keep the soil slightly damp at all times. This helps actually move the heat around and boosts humidity to boot.
3. Use a thermostatic control. It is the only real way you can adjust and regulate the temps.

Feeding. My developing philosophy is to think of the meal in two parts-
1. High Energy- this is the calorie part- fruits and meats for forest tortoises; carbs, proteins, sugars, etc. for all tortoises. Limit this part somewhat- a daily or so serving about the size of the animal's head.
2. High Fiber- This is the fiber, calcium, etc. that makes up the bulk of the diet. I no longer worry a lot about over-feeding this part. It fills the belly and gut, gives them a reason to revisit the food dish or wander around, etc. I even offer some 'low end' greens like plain lettuce if they clean their plate early.

It is not quite finished, but I discuss this in the Diet section of the TortoiseLibrary.com site.

anniiie321

5 Year Member
emysemys said:
Hi Annie:

Your habitat is very nice, but it looks a little bare. Can you add a few more plants?

If you think your tortoise needs more food, that's fine. Its ok to give her more.

I have a heat strip that's made to put under plant seedling trays that I use under my baby leopard tortoises. I think it would be ok to use it for your redfoot. It brings up the heat through the moist substrate and that helps to keep the air humid. Some people will say that its not good to have "belly" heat with tortoises, but I really see nothing wrong with it. Its just a matter of opinion.

I definately intend on adding more decor, i was just excited to show everyone haha :) I like the idea of that type of undersoil heater, i will check into getting one :) Thank you!

LindaF said:
Perhaps you can learn from one of my mistakes. You might look at replacing one side of the screen top with plexiglas. It will help with keeping the heat in and humidity. I have a CHE I keep on over the hide area to keep up temps. I had a zoo med spot light on the other side for increased heat during the day. I've since replaced that with an infrared bulb and have noticed a lot more activity in my red foot.

That is a really good idea, i had some plexiglass left over, i will probably replace one side :) I got her an infrared light for nighttime so we will see how she likes that :) Thanks!

Madkins007 said:
Nice looking place- I am sure it will be fabulous when it is finished!

Subsoil heating is not only OK, I think it is almost the only way many of us further north can accomplish our goals. The Basic Housing section of my under-construction site www.tortoiselibrary.com has some information that may help you with that.

The KEYS to heating from below are-
1. Make sure it never gets hot. Some heaters can get really hot if they fail.
2. Follow directions. Many in-soil heaters, for example, want you to keep the soil slightly damp at all times. This helps actually move the heat around and boosts humidity to boot.
3. Use a thermostatic control. It is the only real way you can adjust and regulate the temps.

Feeding. My developing philosophy is to think of the meal in two parts-
1. High Energy- this is the calorie part- fruits and meats for forest tortoises; carbs, proteins, sugars, etc. for all tortoises. Limit this part somewhat- a daily or so serving about the size of the animal's head.
2. High Fiber- This is the fiber, calcium, etc. that makes up the bulk of the diet. I no longer worry a lot about over-feeding this part. It fills the belly and gut, gives them a reason to revisit the food dish or wander around, etc. I even offer some 'low end' greens like plain lettuce if they clean their plate early.

It is not quite finished, but I discuss this in the Diet section of the TortoiseLibrary.com site.

Thank you for your reply, it will b very helpful, your site looks great, it will be a very good resource when finished :)

Balboa

5 Year Member
PNW
I agree whole heartedly with the suggestions you've received.

VERY nice looking enclosure, craftsmanship wise!

Status
Not open for further replies.