New Enclosure for my young DT. Heating question.

gabby.santana

Location (City and/or State)
California
My very hardworking Boyfriend built this new enclosure for my desert tortoise.

It is very spacious and it has its own door with a lock. It is extremely very well sealed, so no rain water can get in.

The insulation is protected by very very tough plastic that makes it impossible for him to tear through and eat any insulation.

We are not done yet.

The window was added to the roof to let the sunlight in during the winter. So he always has access to it.

I still need to put in coco fiber, dishes and his hut.

My question is, should I just use CHE lamps or a heating pad mounted on the roof for heat ( In addition, to the basking lamp i will screw on.) I could not find a small radiator that could fit without hitting the roof.

Also there is an updated pic of mogali :) he is getting very big and is very curious. 20180105_164546.jpg20180105_164537.jpgIMG_20180108_183424.jpg

Attachments

• 20180105_164534.jpg
    20180105_164534.jpg
    144.4 KB · Views: 19

gabby.santana

California

It is very spacious and it has its own door with a lock. It is extremely very well sealed, so no rain water can get in.

The insulation is protected by very very tough plastic that makes it impossible for him to tear through and eat any insulation.

We are not done yet.

The window was added to the roof to let the sunlight in during the winter. So he always has access to it.

My question is, should I just use CHE lamps or a heating pad mounted on the roof for heat ( In addition, to the basking lamp i will screw on.) I could not find a small radiator that could fit without hitting the roof.

Also there is an updated pic of mogali :) he is getting very big and is very curious. View attachment 227158View attachment 227160View attachment 227161
We temporarily ran out of washers and had to use bottle caps. Haha

Hugo's Home

5 Year Member
Chesnee, South Carolina
Radiant heat pannels work well from what I've heard. I believe people usually use the 80 watt ones on a thermostat. Less fire danger and wont slow burn your growing tortoise like the che might. @Tom usually uses these in his 4x4 boxes. They mount on the celing.
They are found here:

http://www.reptilebasics.com/rbi-radiant-heat-panels

gabby.santana

California

We are not done yet.

Also there is an updated pic of mogali :) he is getting very big and is very curious. View attachment 227158View attachment 227160View attachment 227161
Side note... during winter nights, I'll bring him inside as recommeded.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
I use 60 watt incandescent black light bulbs for night heat in most of my outdoor sheds. One or two sheds have the 250 watt brooder lights (way too big for your night house), and one of them has three radiant heat panels. I would think you can get by with a CHE, maybe a 100 watt. You'll just have to try it and see. THe CHE is only about $25, while the radiant heat panels are about $80. A black bulb is only $3. Many people say you shouldn't have light at night. I've never had a problem with my black lights or my brooder lights. The black lights are just like moon light. My tortoises just sleep at night, so the lights don't bother them.

Your BF did a nice job on the little house.

baldegale

I use 60 watt incandescent black light bulbs for night heat in most of my outdoor sheds. One or two sheds have the 250 watt brooder lights (way too big for your night house), and one of them has three radiant heat panels. I would think you can get by with a CHE, maybe a 100 watt. You'll just have to try it and see. THe CHE is only about $25, while the radiant heat panels are about $80. A black bulb is only $3. Many people say you shouldn't have light at night. I've never had a problem with my black lights or my brooder lights. The black lights are just like moon light. My tortoises just sleep at night, so the lights don't bother them.

Your BF did a nice job on the little house.

if you go on amazon you can get 150 watt BYBlight brooder lamps for $12 each

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
if you go on amazon you can get 150 watt BYBlight brooder lamps for $12 each
I buy mine at Tractor Supply - a 2 pack for $8.99. My sheds are big enough that I need the 250 watt lights. I think 150 watts would be too hot for Gabby's night house.

baldegale

I buy mine at Tractor Supply - a 2 pack for $8.99. My sheds are big enough that I need the 250 watt lights. I think 150 watts would be too hot for Gabby's night house.

depends, i use a 150 watt in my 5’x2’x2’ and the ambient temp is like 90°

SULCY

NEW YORK
If you use the zilla temp controller with the bulbs it will turn on and off when needed.

gabby.santana

California
Thank you everyone. I have not yet added any sort of heat in there so I'm not sure what how warm it can get in there.

gabby.santana

California
I'm not familiar with how oil radiators work, can someone explain? And I'm assuming one has control on how high the heat goes?

SULCY

NEW YORK
Very easy to use just plug in. The thermostat on the radiator is not as good as the Zilla controller which is more precise so I would definitely use it. What you do is plug the radiator into the controller and set the radiator on high. Check the temp in you're enclosure and adjust the knob on the controller until it reaches the temp you need. It will turn the radiator on and off to keep the right temp. Hope this makes sense.

gabby.santana

California
Very easy to use just plug in. The thermostat on the radiator is not as good as the Zilla controller which is more precise so I would definitely use it. What you do is plug the radiator into the controller and set the radiator on high. Check the temp in you're enclosure and adjust the knob on the controller until it reaches the temp you need. It will turn the radiator on and off to keep the right temp. Hope this makes sense.
Thank you and the zilla controller will control the temps right? Is that what your saying?