new enclosure for spike!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

aromaff16

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Kankakee Illinois
jUST FINISHED MY NEW 6'X3' ENCLOSURE FOR SPIKE. If someone would be so kind as to tell me how to post a picture I will post a picture of it. The walls are 10" high, 1/2 inch oak plywood. The floor is osb ply wood covered with vinyl flooring and sealed around the edges with silicone to make the floor water proof. The bedding is zoo-med repti-bark. the "hide portion is 2' X 3'. Eventially I want to put some sort of balcony above the Hide but that will have to come later. Suggestions are welcome.

spikeshouse.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

doubletorts

5 Year Member
Looks nice, I'm sure Spike will be happy :) I actually just finished planning my 2 story table, now I just need to buy the materials and put it together.

tyler0912

5 Year Member
Blackburn, U.K.
Awesome enclosure!

But!

Repti bark has been known to cause impaction,
Not to worry you just to inform you! :)

aromaff16

5 Year Member
Kankakee Illinois
Noted. What substrate does everyone use? If what Im using has ANY chance of harming Spike I would deffenitely consider switching to something else.

Jacqui

Wanna be raiser of Lemon Drop tortoises
10 Year Member!
A Land Far Away...
aromaff16 said:
Noted. What substrate does everyone use? If what Im using has ANY chance of harming Spike I would deffenitely consider switching to something else.

Just going on the record to say any substrate can cause impaction.

Which substrate to use is widely debatable and each of us have our preferences and reasoning for them. I myself keep the smaller tortoises on a mixture of coir/sand with sand only being like20-25% (I don't measure I just pour some in until I think it's a big enough amount :cool: ). I much prefer the coir/sand as I can easily see when I need to add more water too it, easier to do spot cleaning, soft for the tortoises to burrow into. Another big plus to me, is bringing home those small, lightweight blocks rather then lugging the dirty wet bags of other substrates is so much easier and nicer. Some dislike anything with sand, but my experience is that a healthy tortoise can handle it. After all, the common soil also has sand as a component.

On the large adult tortoises (sulcata, redfoots, and Leopards) I use the cypress mulch. I really do not like the cypress. It's too big of pieces, too sharp and pointy, and I don't like it for humidity. It can also be hard to find depending on where you live and the season.

Some other folks prefer soil. Which I can never find soil I like at the stores and I don't want to be removing it from my own yard. A bio substrate is nice and mine end up a lot like one. :D I sorta combines all the different substrates into one. :D

lynnedit

10 Year Member!
Southwest Washington
You might consider a mixture as Jacqui mentions. Sometimes using the Reptibark (or cypress mulch) around the food slate and soaking dish keep those areas cleaner. You can't beat coir for holding moisture and the smaller amount of sand (playsand) helps keep it fluffier.
I like the fine Orchid Bark (almost like soil). Since orchids are fussy, it is free of additives, etc., and I can get a good price at my local landscape store. I also have a mix.
I think it depends on the climate you live in, what you can get in your area, etc.

tyler0912

5 Year Member
Blackburn, U.K.
aromaff16 said:

I use Cypress mulch for my 2 Reds! :)

Kvoigt

5 Year Member
South Dakota
how is that food tray working for you?? looks kinda hard to eat out of.. im jsut asking? i had to switch to a pretty flat plate for now till i find a chunk of slate :)

Status
Not open for further replies.