New Enclosure (Live Plants question)

@itsmimie94

Location (City and/or State)
Philippines
Hi! This is my new enclosure for my baby sulcata. I did put live plants on it, does anybody here know if these plants are safe for the tortoise? And what other plants do you suggest? I am using cypress mulch as a substrate. And half the enclosure gets sunlight from 9:00am to 11:00 am is it ok? Thanks.IMG_9769.jpgIMG_9770.jpg

ascott

10 Year Member!
Apple Valley, California
Hi! This is my new enclosure for my baby sulcata. I did put live plants on it, does anybody here know if these plants are safe for the tortoise? And what other plants do you suggest? I am using cypress mulch as a substrate. And half the enclosure gets sunlight from 9:00am to 11:00 am is it ok? Thanks.View attachment 243572View attachment 243573

Great start set up...just make sure that the sun does not cover the entire enclosure at some point....if it does cover the entire enclosure I would just an a plant shelf over half of the top and set some plants over the shelf to assure that there is always shade :)

@itsmimie94

Philippines
Great start set up...just make sure that the sun does not cover the entire enclosure at some point....if it does cover the entire enclosure I would just an a plant shelf over half of the top and set some plants over the shelf to assure that there is always shade :)

oh thank you [emoji846]is it ok that this enclosure is outside? because i was planning on transfering him inside.

ascott

10 Year Member!
Apple Valley, California
oh thank you [emoji846]is it ok that this enclosure is outside? because i was planning on transfering him inside.

For a small tortoise there needs to be a primary indoor enclosure and a secondary outdoor space...as the tort grows then the opposite is necessary....but always have a way to shelter the tort indoors according to weather needs....

@itsmimie94

Philippines
For a small tortoise there needs to be a primary indoor enclosure and a secondary outdoor space...as the tort grows then the opposite is necessary....but always have a way to shelter the tort indoors according to weather needs....

but for now i have this enclosure as his primary. do i need or have to transfer him inside?

ascott

10 Year Member!
Apple Valley, California
but for now i have this enclosure as his primary. do i need or have to transfer him inside?

You should have an equally set up indoor enclosure....when the weather is good and desirable then an outdoor space is super important....but an indoor enclosure is where I would house the tort during the night and when poor weather....if the enclosure is secure and the weather is good day AND night then during the good weather time of year outdoors is good...but I would set up and indoor enclosure to assure you are ready.

@itsmimie94

Philippines
You should have an equally set up indoor enclosure....when the weather is good and desirable then an outdoor space is super important....but an indoor enclosure is where I would house the tort during the night and when poor weather....if the enclosure is secure and the weather is good day AND night then during the good weather time of year outdoors is good...but I would set up and indoor enclosure to assure you are ready.

ok. i will make another enclosure for indoors so ill have an enclosure during bad weathers...thanks a lot