New female Greek

Status
Not open for further replies.

sushisurf13

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Huntington Beach, CA
So I picked a female greek from petsmart today. actually, my wife bought her for my B-day (june 13)
I have been looking for a long time and just happened to come across one. So you all know, Greeks are impossible to find right now in Sunny SoCal. I called petsmart today and they told me that they have had this tort for a few months, in the back room. It was not on display. I drove down there and sure enough its a Greek and its a female. YAY!!! I've been looking for females for a while now.
I post some pics soon for all of your inspection. My camera needs batteries.
Anyone got some name ideas? I'm into female greek names (or words) as all of my greeks have greek names.
No, I wont be breeding anytime soon. After a good quarantine, she will live in the "baby" greek pen. I dont think she can handle 4 males.

Stay tuned, pics are coming.

sushisurf13

10 Year Member!
Huntington Beach, CA
oh yeah,
do you guy think its ok to house an adult female with 6 yearlings? the biggest is about 90 grams. Smallest is 48 grams. Right now she is in the quarantine area of my yard. She is very happy and healthy and eats like a horse. She's probably just stoked to be out of her aquarium at PetSmart.

egyptiandan

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
USA
Hi Eric,
She sounds nice. :D I though wouldn't put her with your yearlings. The size difference is to great right now. I always try to never mix WC animals with CB animals if it's at all possible. The CB animals have never been exposed to the same pathogens that the WC's have and it could be devistating to the CB animals.

Danny

sushisurf13

10 Year Member!
Huntington Beach, CA
egyptiandan said:
Hi Eric,
She sounds nice. :D I though wouldn't put her with your yearlings. The size difference is to great right now. I always try to never mix WC animals with CB animals if it's at all possible. The CB animals have never been exposed to the same pathogens that the WC's have and it could be devistating to the CB animals.

Danny

Thanks Dan,
I wans kinda thinking that. as I almost positive its WC, from petsmart.
I'll get some pics up this evening. Perhaps you can ID her sub.

Crazy1

10 Year Member!
Inland Empire, CA
sushisurf13, where in CA are you located. I also am looking for some Female Greeks and you are right they are impossible to find. I am planning on attending the Show in San Diego to see if I can find some.

agiletorts

10 Year Member!
San Jose, CA
sushisurf13 said:
egyptiandan said:
Hi Eric,

Danny

Thanks Dan,
I wans kinda thinking that. as I almost positive its WC, from petsmart.
I'll get some pics up this evening. Perhaps you can ID her sub.

Yes based on my observation I would say almost all tortoises sold at Petsmart are WC, so it's wise not to mix them with your CB. Most of the times you could also tell from the shell as CB usually has relatively smoother and brighter shell than WC due to the environment that they lived.

agiletorts

10 Year Member!
San Jose, CA
Crazy1 said:
sushisurf13, where in CA are you located. I also am looking for some Female Greeks and you are right they are impossible to find. I am planning on attending the Show in San Diego to see if I can find some.

Last year I found a big female greek at a local pet shop here in San Jose, CA. She was on sale as her previous owner could not take care of her anymore. She's already 8 imches plus. I visited the store to purchase some beddings and didn't intend to buy any new tortoises, but couldn't resist and took her home right away. Sometimes it takes some luck to find what you're looking for.

Crazy1

10 Year Member!
Inland Empire, CA
Yep, I know I have been hitting the 4 pet stores near me and registered with several adoption places for over a year and still no luck. I have found a Red foot and one nice ornate Box male, in the past week, but no greek females. Well at least so far. and of course I have to be picky on the type of Greeks I want which only adds to the problem.

sushisurf13

10 Year Member!
Huntington Beach, CA
Crazy1 said:

Im in Huntington Beach.
I will be at the show on Saturday. I am going specificly to (hopefully) pick up a couple or three or five, girls. My boys are ready, so ready.

SleepyWilly

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
sushisurf13 said:
So I picked a female greek from petsmart today. actually, my wife bought her for my B-day (june 13)
I have been looking for a long time and just happened to come across one. So you all know, Greeks are impossible to find right now in Sunny SoCal. I called petsmart today and they told me that they have had this tort for a few months, in the back room. It was not on display. I drove down there and sure enough its a Greek and its a female. YAY!!! I've been looking for females for a while now.
I post some pics soon for all of your inspection. My camera needs batteries.
Anyone got some name ideas? I'm into female greek names (or words) as all of my greeks have greek names.
No, I wont be breeding anytime soon. After a good quarantine, she will live in the "baby" greek pen. I dont think she can handle 4 males.

Stay tuned, pics are coming.

Illiana which comes from the greek name illias,
chenolia greek for like a shelled animal,
Gods, demi-gods, heros ect ect, hera, helen, athena, penelope, persifone, for names that is. just a few

Status
Not open for further replies.