New female!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

ehopkins12

5 Year Member
Here's my new female! I do believe shes a bit chubby...not sure, but petsmart was feeding her these rabbit pellet looking things :/ but here's some pictures! Name suggestions?
045.jpg

052.jpg

056.jpg

terracolson

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Sacramento
Wow She is a dark little girl huh...

I still have to babies of my own to name... It was easier to name my son...

ehopkins12

5 Year Member
yea both my russians are very dark in coloration. shes crazy tho! she enjoys tearing her pen apart :)

Stephanie Logan

10 Year Member!
Colorado
Here are some Russian female names I googled: Galina, Zoya, Darya, Olga, Tatyana, Elvira (I like that last one best). ;)

Good luck with your new lady. She's a beauty! :D

Meg90

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
WI
I think you should post a tail shot so she can be sexed. At that size, I wouldn't guarantee that she's female. Female russians are much larger than males--

dreadyA

5 Year Member
southern cal.
Nothing wrong with having a name change down the road if she becomes a he...

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
I'm kinda' thinking along Meg's lines too. For some reason this tortoise just looks male to me.

ehopkins12

5 Year Member
shes a female for sure. very short tail. bigger than my male as well. we've already gone through this sexing deal with my last tort in another post...i know the difference by now haha.

GBtortoises

10 Year Member!
The Catskill Mountains of New York State
The majority of the wild caught Russian tortoises imported have been males, but there seems to be a fair amount of females that come in with them at certain times. Larger females are held back.

Meg90

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
WI
Young males can have short tails. They get longer with age usually. Under 5" is difficult to say. Can you take a picture of the back of your tortoise, while it is just normally sitting? I want to see how the back scutes look, from the overhead pic, it looks like they are sloping down, the way a male's do. I would love to see pics. Why not get some opinions? I think I do pretty well sexing wise, but I have been incorrect on occasion.

Annieski

5 Year Member
Edison, N.J.
I know you asked for name suggestions--- how about---"BEBE" [aka: Black Beauty"?

Kymiie

5 Year Member
Nottinghamshire, UK
With her top shell being so flat XD she reminds me of two biscuits stuck together like bourbon, jammie dodger, custard cream.... Id call her a biscuit

xx

ehopkins12

5 Year Member
hmm...looks like it could be a male now that i look at it...ugh, this is going to be disappointing if it it is. I was all psyched about breeding eventually! ill post a couple pictures and let you guys decide and keep my fingers crossed...

heres pictures!

058.jpg

061.jpg

060.jpg

059.jpg

Meg90

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
WI
Looks like a young male to me. :( Anybody else got an opinion?

ehopkins12

5 Year Member
this one is noticeably bigger than my other male...but a smaller tail. dang! this isn't cool! i've only had him/her a couple days...might just exchange if i can find a female.

Status
Not open for further replies.