New fence going up!!! :)

Irwin4530

5 Year Member
I have been dying to expand my tortoise yard for a couple of years now....I am sure you can all realate!!
Well.....today is the day. Down with the old tattered wood fence and up with the new white one!! I am also in the process of doubling the yard size. With four dogs I need good fencing to keep the tort yard secure, so this "doubling" may take another month but the new fence (and removal of the gate) will change the layout and allow my to make a huge pen at each end!!! This is going to be aHUGE change for me and will allow me to greatly expand my red foot and leopard pens.
I am so excited for them you would think that I am getting an addition to my living space
;0

I have been taking pictures and will share them when the job is done......If you dont see me for awhile ill be in my new yard!!

:)

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Clovis, CA
***Yvonne shades her eyes with her hand, looking left then right - "Where's Irwin? "***

Irwin4530

5 Year Member
ImageUploadedByTortoise Forum1398623824.420276.jpg
So the vinyl on the left is the new fence!! The wire fence on the right will come down and a 4 foot security vinyl will replace it to keep dogs out....it will be moved out to double the size of the yard. NEXT, I get to plan out my new pens :)

ascott

10 Year Member!
Apple Valley, California
Awesome and I am surprised that I see dandelion flowers in the yard...the CDTs here would be laying in wait after eating them for new ones to grow....lol....great space for sure...

Jacqui

Wanna be raiser of Lemon Drop tortoises
10 Year Member!
A Land Far Away...
:) I love expansions! We are currently doing the same here and it is taking us FORever. :) Are you having the same luck we have had where it seems like what could go wrong does and you have to keep doing little tweaks? Jeff spent about a week (between running to this and that Dr test or apt) working on the security panel part. Yesterday we (youngest son and ex) had a couple of hours, so we got the smaller wooden posts buried into the cement for the new sulcata enclosure. Like I said it is taking so much longer then my mind plan (and costing more), but ya know we are making some good memories to look back at and laugh.... hope your making those memories too.

Irwin4530

5 Year Member
It has definitely been a process ....lucked out with part of the financing though....neighbors payed for 1/2 the fence on the property line. That and the whole thing was already half off!! I used some of that unexpected money to run the water in the yard. Previously I had to hang a hose over the fence but now the Tortoise yard has its own water source so that was good !

I also got some Home Depot gift cards as Christmas presents and I've been saving those for retaining wall stones. I'll keep adding pictures as I do more work :)

Thanks for all the kind words ..... Love being able to talk to people who like this sort of thing as much as I do ImageUploadedByTortoise Forum1398631679.833514.jpg. **** from the other end.
That entire back third against the house will be a Redfoot enclosure.... It has lots of sun and lots of shade

Irwin4530

5 Year Member
If you look closely in the corner under the window you can see their current enclosure. This new one will more than triple their enclosure :)

Jacqui

Wanna be raiser of Lemon Drop tortoises
10 Year Member!
A Land Far Away...
Are they going to be shocked, when they get out for the first time in their new enclosure.

Irwin4530

5 Year Member
ImageUploadedByTortoise Forum1399741930.074416.jpgso this is the old red foot pen.....nothing fancy just enough to keep them enclosed.....they were also inside the old fence.

Irwin4530

5 Year Member
ImageUploadedByTortoise Forum1399742000.407407.jpgimagine a retaining wall running in front of the old enclosure, around the pond and connecting with the new vinyl fence on the right.......the work has begun!!!!!

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
And the Spring tortoise enclosure redo's begin. :D Looking good. You must be having a great time. The torts aren't going to know what happened. They will think you let them go back to their home land:D but of course will still want food brought to them.
Great that your neighbors went in on the fence. Nice neighbors.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
I love all the hosta. I've tried and tried but I just can't grow them. I guess its too hot here.

Irwin4530

5 Year Member
I have always had luck with hosta but I do water like crazy!!!

Today's progress so far!!
ImageUploadedByTortoise Forum1399833744.288008.jpgImageUploadedByTortoise Forum1399833790.811442.jpg

StuMac

5 Year Member
That second-to-last one is great. "Peek a boo! Here I am!!!"

Irwin4530

5 Year Member
****UPDATE: :)

New "low fence" between the rest of the yard (where the dogs play) and the tortoises. It used to be that little metal fence that you see but now we've doubled the size and I got a brand-new vinyl for Christmas!

In the spring I'll take out those two wooden runs in the middle and redo the enclosures tissue damage it so everyone can spread out :)

ImageUploadedByTortoise Forum1418582824.111819.jpg

ImageUploadedByTortoise Forum1418582847.861756.jpg