New food for Sally

Status
Not open for further replies.

Diane771

5 Year Member
I got this new food for Sally, and it has really increased her energy its Flukers crafted cuisine Tortoise Diet. It is great and sally loves it

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Chicago, Illinois, USA
It has all kinds of ingredients a Russian should not eat. All the fruit is bad for its gut flora. All the veggies isnt that great either. Russians diet is broad leafy weeds and if needed dark leafy grocery greens. Not fruits and veggies. I would not feed it. Probably doing more harm then good.

Chubbs the tegu

Ma
It has all kinds of ingredients a Russian should not eat. All the fruit is bad for its gut flora. All the veggies isnt that great either. Russians diet is broad leafy weeds and if needed dark leafy grocery greens. Not fruits and veggies. I would not feed it. Probably doing more harm then good.
Deep breath..exhale slowly ?

Diane771

5 Year Member
Are you talking about the food I suggested for Sally?

Diane771

5 Year Member
Yes, the flukers.
So why don't you like it? I feed Sally a lot of things but since I bought this her energy and alertness has gone way up . My vet who specializes in Tortoise and reptiles said it was a good food product. I trust my vet and he owns Sulcata and other reptiles too. I think he has a wider and better perspective that you might

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Because your species of tortoise is not suppose to eat fruit. That food has a lot of different fruits in it.
Do what you want. I'm telling you what is not suppose to be fed to your tortoise. I said it in my original post why it's not good.
A lot of reptile vets do more harm then good to a lot of tortoises.
Do a search on here for the diet of a Russian.

Diane771

5 Year Member
Thread 'Russian Tortoise Care Sheet' https://www.tortoiseforum.org/threads/russian-tortoise-care-sheet.80698/

Click on the link above and scroll thru it until you reach the diet section.
Written by a member who has had tortoises for many years and raised russians.
I didn't just get Sally I had her now for over 5 yrs. I don't care what you are trying to say, again I will take my Vet's advice over someone like this. I have my set up with lights, bedding, I know about soaking and what to feed my Russian Tortoise. I was just suggesting food that people who own Russian Tortoises might like to try. So I have know idea why you have taken this so off course. I am not a rookie and Sally most likely is one of the happy, full of confidence, and healthy... then 90% of RT owners.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Then dont post on a forum!
If you want people to just poo poo anything wrong or bad you do, this isnt the place.
You don't want to take the advice of the forum, not me, that's fine, but years of members with a lot more then 5 years experience then why are you here?
I said in a post above to do what you want. I just gave you the facts!
Lose the attitude when people are just trying to help and give you facts!

Maggie3fan

5 Year Member
PacificNorthWest
I didn't just get Sally I had her now for over 5 yrs. I don't care what you are trying to say, again I will take my Vet's advice over someone like this. I have my set up with lights, bedding, I know about soaking and what to feed my Russian Tortoise. I was just suggesting food that people who own Russian Tortoises might like to try. So I have know idea why you have taken this so off course. I am not a rookie and Sally most likely is one of the happy, full of confidence, and healthy... then 90% of RT owners.
I don't have a dog in this fight BUT...just because you've been feeding Sally food she shouldn't have for years doesn't make it right. Russian tortoises do not eat fruit...period. So I for one might say "don't come on here and tell other new Russian keepers to feed that fruit when it's wrong". Exotic Vets are not always right...and yours is very wrong in this case. Read the care sheet...fruit is bad for Russian tortoises...no argument, you and that vet are wrong very wrong

Diane771

5 Year Member
people Then dont post on a forum!
If you want people to just poo poo anything wrong or bad you do, this isnt the place.
You don't want to take the advice of the forum, not me, that's fine, but years of members with a lot more then 5 years experience then why are you here?
I said in a post above to do what you want. I just gave you the facts!
Lose the attitude when people are just trying to help and give you facts!
Again you Do Not Know what I also am giving Sally to eat!! You have to comment in a Demeaning Authoritaining manner!! But to show what you really are I will tell you Sally is fed vegetables, Timothy Hay, Fruits and you owe me an apology for insinuating I know nothing about Russian Tortoises. SHAME ON YOU!! Is this a forum that attacks people and ideas? Is this a forum that thinks they know more than other tortoise owners? You are totally in the wrong and making assumptions to what? Embarrass me???

Diane771

5 Year Member
I don't have a dog in this fight BUT...just because you've been feeding Sally food she shouldn't have for years doesn't make it right. Russian tortoises do not eat fruit...period. So I for one might say "don't come on here and tell other new Russian keepers to feed that fruit when it's wrong". Exotic Vets are not always right...and yours is very wrong in this case. Read the care sheet...fruit is bad for Russian tortoises...no argument, you and that vet are wrong very wrong
What fruits can I Feed my Russian tortoise?
In general, Russian Tortoises should eat only a very limited amount of fruit. In small amounts, apples can be beneficial to Russian Tortoises due to their high pectin content. Russian Tortoises should mainly eat leafy greens such as Romaine lettuce, Radicchio and Collard. Did I say she eats fruit all the time? No Like I said I KNOW what to Feed Sally

Attachments

• IMG_0396.JPG
    IMG_0396.JPG
    570 KB · Views: 11

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
I owe you ABSOLUTELY nothing but the truth of what you are doing wrong and owe newbies that might think you are right, the truth on how bad feeding a Russian fruit is!
You owe the member @Tom, who raised russians way before you ever had 1, and wrote the caresheet of the proper care and diet of a Russian among others, an apology for thinking you know better then he does!
Russians should not have any fruit period!!!

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
The Fluker's diets contain a lot of fruit - cranberries, bananas, blueberries, bell peppers, tomatoes - So it might be ok to give as an occasional treat, but I wouldn't make it a diet staple. Too much fruit upsets their digestive tract and invites parasites.

Diane771

5 Year Member
AKC Breeder of Alaskan Malamute means I am an animal & reptile owner I would never give Sally something not appropriate or tell anyone it is a food I give Sally that would harm her or any one's beloved pet

Attachments

• IMG_0037.JPG
    IMG_0037.JPG
    252 KB · Views: 10
  • IMG_3680.JPG
    IMG_3680.JPG
    2.3 MB · Views: 10

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
What fruits can I Feed my Russian tortoise?
In general, Russian Tortoises should eat only a very limited amount of fruit. In small amounts, apples can be beneficial to Russian Tortoises due to their high pectin content. Russian Tortoises should mainly eat leafy greens such as Romaine lettuce, Radicchio and Collard. Did I say she eats fruit all the time? No Like I said I KNOW what to Feed Sally
I think you're missing the point. . . the Fluker's tortoise food contains a lot of fruit.

Diane771

5 Year Member
The Fluker's diets contain a lot of fruit - cranberries, bananas, blueberries, bell peppers, tomatoes - So it might be ok to give as an occasional treat, but I wouldn't make it a diet staple. Too much fruit upsets their digestive tract and invites parasites.
She a has a great variety of food she eats like Kale, Red lettuce, Peas, some corn. She used to like green beans but now is into peas. I never said this was her food staple I was simply saying about this in case others might run across it. But Wellington jumped in and blew what I was saying all out of proportion> In fact Sally has yet to even eat fresh fruit

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
There are many, many forum readers plus new members who don't have a lot of experience or knowledge about what to feed tortoises. So it is our responsibility to give more information when we see something posted that a newbie might take the wrong way. Please don't feel picked on. Wellington's comments were made with readers and new, inexperienced members in mind.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
She a has a great variety of food she eats like Kale, Red lettuce, Peas, some corn. She used to like green beans but now is into peas. I never said this was her food staple I was simply saying about this in case others might run across it. But Wellington jumped in and blew what I was saying all out of proportion> In fact Sally has yet to even eat fresh fruit

This was my original post! I did not say one thing blowing this out of proportion!!!
I stated about what is bad in the flukers food and did not mention anything else. Not one thing about anything else you do or feed!

Status
Not open for further replies.