New Giant Mexican Musk - Staurotypus triporcatus + Name Suggestions

William Lee Kohler

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Eugene, OR
Sure doesn't look very giant to me. Feed Night crawlers and earthworms. Why mess with expensive messy pinkies and such things. Worms have all they need.

Nice to see one with a closed mouth. Must be tame;). If they ever want to bite let them nibble on your fingers so they get it out of their systems and calm down for less painful handling when they're adults:confused:.

William Lee Kohler

5 Year Member
Eugene, OR
Regular small variety ones until they're big enough to eat Night Crawlers but not the ones that live in manure with thin white bands around them. These have a pungent unpleasant smell and I imagine taste lousy as well.

TammyJ

5 Year Member
Jamaica
Regular small variety ones until they're big enough to eat Night Crawlers but not the ones that live in manure with thin white bands around them. These have a pungent unpleasant smell and I imagine taste lousy as well.
What are Night Crawlers? Sounds real creepy!o_O

William Lee Kohler

5 Year Member
Eugene, OR
Most not quite that big. They come out at night when the ground is wet and pull mostly dead vegetation or grass clippings down into the ground. As a teen I'd water the lawn real good and then go out at night with a flashlight and coffee can hunting for them. Got a great back ache the first couple of times cause you're bent over the whole time.:p:rolleyes: But they're free that way.

Blackdog1714

5 Year Member
Richmond, VA
I was spoiled in Ohio. My Grandpa would take fish guts and mix them with dead leaves and use in his shade beds. Biggest Imaptiens and night-crawlers I have ever seen. Watering and crawling was the best way!

TammyJ

5 Year Member
Jamaica
My Jamaican pond turtles love slugs too.