New golden greek

Status
Not open for further replies.

irEric

5 Year Member
I am a proud new owner of a golden greek tortoise. It's about 7-8 months old. First i'd like to mention the set up i have so i can get advice on waht to change.

Large rubbermaid bin (biggest i could find at walmart)
Exo Terra Solar Glo 160w (basking spot is 92, shell gets to 97)
Cypress mulch substrate (forest floor)
Water dish and log.

I'd like to switch the bulb to a T-rex active as i've read extensively it is quite amazing. But i'm having trouble looking for these in Canada/Toronto.

I didn't know what substrate to use so i took the vendors advice and used cypress mulch. I noticed it first ate a piece, and maybe another piece later. Hopefully it will stop since it got really into the hand feeding session. I'd like to add it seems the substrate is quite humid out of the bag.

I'm scared it may have a cold. I saw bubbles once and i can hear some noise when it breathes. And i think it may have sneezed a couple times.

It is currently burrowed and i'm also nervous the humidity of the substrate is affecting it negatively.

Being a first time pet owner is nerve racking. :(

Other than that it can be quite active as it laps around the enclosure.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Clovis, CA
Hi Eric:

Welcome to the forum!!

Just remember: cold/moist = BAD!
warm/moist = quite ok

I like cypress mulch, but I've heard quite a few Mediterranean tortoise keepers say their tortoise eats it. I don't have that problem. Hopefully your tortoise will stop once it realizes that the food god is going to provide for it.

I can't find the T-Rex light in pet stores either. I have to buy it online. I don't know if you can shop from LLLReptile or not, being in Canada, but that's where I get mine.

Its pretty stressful on a new tortoise to be yanked out of his current home and set up in new digs. Lots of time this stress causes a bubbly nose. Its not anything to worry about. If the tortoise is eating and otherwise acting normal, just let him be.

I don't keep Greeks, so I don't know the humidity requirement for them, sorry. Can't help you with that.

Missy

5 Year Member
Illinois
Welcome to TFO. Try reptiledirect.com or reptilesupply.com I agree with Yvonne about the bubbles but if it continues or you can hear a conjested sound then call a vet.

egyptiandan

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
USA
Welcome to the forum Eric :)

What are your other temperatures in the enclosure, warm end, cool end and night time?

Danny

irEric

5 Year Member
egyptiandan said:
Welcome to the forum Eric :)

What are your other temperatures in the enclosure, warm end, cool end and night time?

Danny

Thanks for all the quick reply and welcome!

Well the cool end is about 72F. I don't have a ceramic heat emitter in the middle so it it pretty much drops once out of the basking area. But i do use a flood lamp so maybe its 80F in a small area.

I believe the temps stay 70~72F at night. And he's spent one night already like this.

irEric

5 Year Member
i'd like to add that today it was burrowed in its hide and the shell temp was around 78F. i took it out to soak and to hand feed at 4pm. It seems to eat quite contently but in small sessions.

It started to sneeze quite a bit. I think at least. Its movement is a sudden jerk backwards of the head. sometimes with noise.

can sometime also tell me why it makes clicking noises?

Status
Not open for further replies.