New Greek Indoor Table

Status
Not open for further replies.

Greektortnamedleo

5 Year Member
Hello again everyone!
This is the most confused but motivated new member of the forum again! I have begun construction on Leos new 6'x3' table. It is a nice solid wood bookshelf with the shelves removed and shelf tracks filled. I backed it with 2x4 lumber and a 1/2" plywood base. I installed 4 90 degree brackets to help support the walls and am getting ready to caulk and seal the sides/floor. I am using the Drylok Sealer as a paint on finish for the inside. My questions are for the light rack. It is a large table and will be in my bedroom. How should I provide a good amount of light over the entire table while still having a nice large/hot basking spot for him? I currently have a mvb in a ceramic housing that gets him to 100F but I would like to also light the rest of the table so he knows he can wander and to encourage exploration while still providing the VB that he needs.

This is the shelf when I got it
E4WQv.jpg

Shelves removed and slots filled
mHGdH.jpg

Corner bracing
n1Otq.jpg

The whole reason this project is worth it (he's completely passed out)
BFnbg.jpg

GBtortoises

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
The Catskill Mountains of New York State
If you're using an MVB bulb there is no need to also use a UVB tube flourescent. Any "daylight" producing tube flourescent will work if it's just to illuminate the enclosure more. Better still would be a regular incandescent bulb, 60-75watt or higher if necessary and a UV tube flourescent to not only illuminate but spread UV throughout the enclosure. By using an MVB bulb it forces a tortoise to sit directly under the heat source at all times in order to benefit from the UV rays of that bulb. They're too localized. With an incandescent and a tube fluorescent the tortoise can move in and out of the basking area at will and still have the benefit of UV rays throughout the enclosure. When completely lighting the enclosure also make sure to provide adequate, dark rest and hiding areas to retreat from the light.
P.S.-Spur-thigh=Greek. Both acceptable common names for Testudo gracea subspecies. Here in the U.S. "Greek" is more commonly used nowadays.

Greektortnamedleo

5 Year Member
That is what I have been trying to research, benefits and all that of the uv tube versus the MVB. I was reading all sorts of mixed reviews on the tubes and as a result had decided that the MVB was better. My tortoise does not go outside so the lighting he receives needs to supply him with everything he needs. Having the tube assembly over the entire enclosure and one basking bulb would be so much easier. I also plan on installing a regular hide box and also provide him some hides throughout the table. Thank you for the help! Oh, one more thing. which UV tubes do you recommend?

Greektortnamedleo

5 Year Member
Edges and seams are caulked and the whole thing has been painted with drylok. My question is how long do you let the table vent for before you put the tortoise in?

T_McCarthy

5 Year Member
Greektortnamedleo said:
Edges and seams are caulked and the whole thing has been painted with drylok. My question is how long do you let the table vent for before you put the tortoise in?

I sealed mine and let it sit for about 4 days just to be safe, I had a stand up fan on it too for a bit but if you can put the table in the sun that would help the sealant cake on there nice and good!

TortoiseBoy1999

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Palmdale CA
I saw Twilight on the shelf on the first pic! Take it off and replace it with Harry Potter! XD

Status
Not open for further replies.