New Greek Tort Eye membrane half over one eye

Status
Not open for further replies.

Torts4Life!

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Denver, Colorado
I just got a new greek tortoise yesterday and his eyes looked very healthy but today his right eye is half covered by his membrane. I'm pretty worried that dirt is stuck in his eye. His substrate is the ZooMed EcoEarth Coconut Substrate and the ZooMed ReptiBark mixed together.
He is behaving normally and ate today. I gave him a bath and put sterile saline solution in his eye to try and flush it but it's still there. Is there anything else I should do and will flushing it have immediate relief?
I'd appreciate any help!! Thank you all!!

P4035192.JPG

Last edited by a moderator:

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Not really sue that is anything to worry about. Does it look like something is in it? Is he scratching at it or acting like its bothering him? If yes I would just try flushing it out again. However, wait to see what others that has more experience with eye problems say.

laney

5 Year Member
Aberdeen, Scotland
Keep soaking and rinsing him. I gently pour tiny streams of water over my torts eyes to make sure there's no dirt in them every time I soak them.

Torts4Life!

5 Year Member
Denver, Colorado
No I don't see him rubbing it or anything like that. I'm probably just too concerned but I'd rather be safe than sorry because yesterday his eyes looked very healthy and clear. I'll keep the soaking and rinsing up. Should I maybe switch his substrate to something else?

UPDATE!!! Now his left eye is covered by his membrane and his right eye is worse and I can now see the dirt in the corner of his eye above the membrane but I can't get it out by flushing or baths. I'm going to change his substrate immediately but What should I do to help his eyes?? It seems so uncomfortable and they are starting to swell!!

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Sometimes when a tortoise is stressed out the nictitating membrane will swell and turn red. If you have any eye ointment, now would be a good time to use it.

I like Terramycin Opthalmic Ointment, but its hard to get. There's another one that is readily available at feed stores - Vetricyn (I think I have that spelling correct. too lazy to go get my bottle). These are soothing ointments and help relax the swollen membrane.

Torts4Life!

5 Year Member
Denver, Colorado
Thank you for the names of the ointments, I'm going to try and find one of them. But I have another update!!! His eyes are back to normal after a long sauna bath and plenty of rinsing last night!! :) I keep him wrapped in a towel while he slept and when this morning came around they looked much better! I'm very happy there isn't anymore irritation. I also found out that his uv bulb was not the good kind to have... it was a coil bulb (even though it was place horizontally placed over enclosure) and that it possibly was the culprit drying his eyes out leaving him susceptible to irritation! I'm just so relieved he is doing better :tort:

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Ah...yet another testimonial to the ill effects of those darned coil bulbs! Thank you for posting this, and I'm glad the tortoise is better.

Torts4Life!

5 Year Member
Denver, Colorado
emysemys said:
Ah...yet another testimonial to the ill effects of those darned coil bulbs! Thank you for posting this, and I'm glad the tortoise is better.

No problem at all, I don't want anybody (tortoise and pet owner) to go through this. And me too, I love the little guy :D

Status
Not open for further replies.