New Greek Tort- Is she healthy?

Chloe_1102

Location (City and/or State)
Indiana
IMG_3088.PNG IMG_3090.JPG IMG_3093.JPG IMG_3095.JPG IMG_3096.JPG IMG_3098.JPG IMG_3101.JPG Hello! I'm a brand new tortoise owner, just received my girl "hazel" today. I read a lot about red flags to look for which indicate a sick tort. But I'm really having trouble know if hazels eyes are puffy or normal. I guess I'm not sure what I'm looking for exactly. She was immediately active, went to her food twice today, and has just been hanging under the basking lamp since. Everything seems fine, just wanted a second opinion on the eyes, or if I'm missing anything. Thanks so much!

Bee62

Germany
Hello and a very warm welcome to the forum.
Your tortoise is looking good and healthy. Being active and eating is a very good sign. Her eyes look pretty normal too.
What is the wire in her cage ? Can you show us some pics of her enclosure and tell us the day and night temps and hunidity ?
What do you feed ? Does your tort has a flat water bowl in her enclosure to climb in, bath and drink ?

Chloe_1102

Indiana
Oh that wire was from a thermometer! I was gaging the temps at the time- definitely not in there at all times for her to chew! Don't mind the basking tile, that's been replaced- far too hot- like 120 F

Food- Dandelion Greens, Endive, Collard and Mustard Greens, and some spring mix (all of the included were tort friendly), organic as well. Also have the cuttlebone and calcium D3 powder

I'm working on the temperature. Currently having a bit of a hard time because the enclosure is 6x3 with an open top. I've got daytime temps to about 85 warm side, 98 basking, 73 cool side. It's fluctuating though, so we've been keeping an eye on it. The pictures are from a few days ago, so they don't show the ceramic heat emitter we just installed.

ImageUploadedByTortoise Forum1505306945.233221.jpgImageUploadedByTortoise Forum1505306982.912297.jpg

Bee62

Germany
Oh that wire was from a thermometer! I was gaging the temps at the time- definitely not in there at all times for her to chew! Don't mind the basking tile, that's been replaced- far too hot- like 120 F

Food- Dandelion Greens, Endive, Collard and Mustard Greens, and some spring mix (all of the included were tort friendly), organic as well. Also have the cuttlebone and calcium D3 powder

I'm working on the temperature. Currently having a bit of a hard time because the enclosure is 6x3 with an open top. I've got daytime temps to about 85 warm side, 98 basking, 73 cool side. It's fluctuating though, so we've been keeping an eye on it. The pictures are from a few days ago, so they don't show the ceramic heat emitter we just installed.

View attachment 218135View attachment 218136

Your enclosure looks fine, but you have to do some little changes. Take out as soon as possible the deep water bowl and put a flat terracotta flower coaster in the enclosure instead. These deep water bowls are a trap and a tort can drown in them.
I would remove the little white fence around the food and water place too. It looks cute to human eyes but torts don`t understand fences. She will have more space and room to walk without the fence.
Greek torts need less warmth than other species. They stay healthy when they can cool down at night. How warm it is in your house tonight ? Mostly you need no CHE for Greek torts for the night.
Your daytime temps are right, you don`t have to change them. In nature temps always change and these torts can cope withn these changes very well.

What your tort will need is humidity. Spray the enclosure once or twice a day with water and soak your tort every other day for 15 minutes. That will keep her healthy and her shell smooth.

You can add more weeds to the food if you can get them. Mayby here you find more food that is good for your tort:
http://www.thetortoisetable.org.uk/
http://www.thetortoisetable.org.uk/
Good luck with your cute tort baby and keep us updated about her growth.