New Growth (Sulcata)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rhyno47

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Hagerstown, MD
I made a couple changes and it seems to have worked in just a few days.

I increased the moisture in the substrate to create more humidity. I feed Isaac more greens and less Mazuri. Im not saying Mazuri is bad, its fantastic, but too much I think means too much protein for a sulcata. I also sprinkle a lot more calcium onto his greens.

This might not mean anything but I also bought a new lamp for him. The new one is way wider so it heats a larger area with less intense sunshine.

Before (two weeks ago):
IMG_0216.jpg

IMG_0217.jpg

After (today):
IMG_0315.jpg

IMG_0317.jpg

IMG_0316.jpg

IMG_0319.jpg

Stephanie Logan

10 Year Member!
Colorado
Wow. I don't know it that's a lighting trick, or if Isaac used his athletic superpower to stretch those clefts out flat. ;)

Isaac always looks like a medalist to me, but I am very happy that he's looking exceptionally good to you now! :p

TortieLuver

5 Year Member
Arizona
How old is your tortoise? I know putting my outside helped with that. I also did research and there have been research on pyramiding and concluded that if you place moist paper towels in the den of the indoor tank/home, it really helps as none of them had pyramiding and the tank that didn't have moist paper towels had some pyramiding. Good luck!

reptylefreek

5 Year Member
Seatac, Washington
I've noticed with my 1 1/2 yr old sulcata that he can stand pretty high humidity and it really seems to help with his growth. I agree about less Mazuri. I think it promotes rapid growth and it seems the shell suffers. The humid hide is an excellent idea thats been used for lots of other reptiles. Use a sponge and staple or nail it to the top of the hide, keep wet a few days out of the week. This helps create some moisture. But be careful it doesn't get to muggy, bad for their respitory. Isaac's new growth looks great

Status
Not open for further replies.