New hatchling Sulcata

karlscaff93

Location (City and/or State)
Uk - Aylesbury
Hi I have just brought a hatchling Sulcata and would like to check that I am giving him the best possible care or if there is any thing I can change to give him the care that he needs
Right

Housing - heating
At the moment I have him on a table with pellets and hay as a substrate the temperatures sit at 85 -90 with a basking area that reaches 100 . The humidity sits between 45% - 50% I spray the table twice daily so that the humidity reaches these levels I have been thinking of changing my substrate to top soil because when I spray the table the pellets brake down slightly and I carnt imagine it would be good for him to eat or breath it in would top soil be okay or is there a better substrate I can use ? ImageUploadedByTortoise Forum1479931256.274997.jpg

( yes I know my table is slightly small but as soon as summer comes here in the uk he will be moved into a 6x3ft table that I have built for him in his adult housing

Diet

I feed him when his lights come on at 6am. His diet consists of hay prorep tortoise pellets which I soak to soften them kale, mixed greens and romain lettuce to keep him hydrated. I sprinkle his food with a small amount of calcium powder every other day.

He is bathed everyday for around 20 minutes.

Also his lights are on from 6am to 8pm
He is pooing weeing and eating regularly he hatched on the 7th of October 2016 his shell width is 51.49mm and he weighs 49 grams

Any help or advice would be appreciated thanks

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Hello and welcome.

You need more humidity, much warmer nights, a damp substrate, but not soil, a closed top, more variety, weeds and grass in the diet, daily soaks, calcium only 2 times a week, and 12 hour days.

Its all explained right here:
http://www.tortoiseforum.org/threads/how-to-raise-a-healthy-sulcata-or-leopard-version-2-0.79895/
http://www.tortoiseforum.org/threads/beginner-mistakes.45180/
http://www.tortoiseforum.org/threads/for-those-who-have-a-young-sulcata.76744/

Most of the care advice given for these guys is old, out-dated, based in incorrect assumptions about their lives in the wild, and wrong. The above info will get you going in the right direction.

Last edited:

karlscaff93

Uk - Aylesbury
What humidity range would you suggest and substrate ? The pellets I feed are made up of different types of weeds and grasses

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
What humidity range would you suggest and substrate ? The pellets I feed are made up of different types of weeds and grasses

All of that is explained in the threads. Read those first and then come back with all your questions. Happy to answer all of them and explain why too.

karlscaff93

Uk - Aylesbury
Right I have read the thread and have made these changes

I now have him housed in a vivarium
My humidity Sits at 70-80% temps are 100 in the basking spot and 80 in the cool end is there any more changes I need to make how often should I be feeding calcium and is there any other supplements I should be adding to his diet ?

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Right I have read the thread and have made these changes

I now have him housed in a vivarium
My humidity Sits at 70-80% temps are 100 in the basking spot and 80 in the cool end is there any more changes I need to make how often should I be feeding calcium and is there any other supplements I should be adding to his diet ?

I like to offer a calcium supplement twice a week and a vitamin supplement once a week. RepCal has worked well for me for decades, but other brands appear to be fine too.