New heat source needed urgently (UK based)

JamieBM

Location (City and/or State)
London
Hi all,

I've had my two Hermanns for about 8 years (always overwintered) and currently use a separate heat and UV source. We moved to a new home last year and, while they were fine in the summer, it is colder than our old place and their activity has been very low for the last few weeks. My current heat source clearly isn't cutting it so I want to upgrade with a completely new set up.

I've spent the last few hours researching but all I've really managed to do is rule out mercury vapor. I know incandescent bulbs are good but they are now very difficult to get in the UK and the only easily available alternative seems to be branded basking lamps from exo terra etc which are obviously more expensive and have some fairly unreliable reviews on amazon etc.

Does anyone in the UK have any specific recommendations for products they use for heating? Anything you've had positive experiences with would be very much appreciated, whether it's bulbs, fittings, stands or all three!

Thank you very much in advance for your help,

Jamie.

Lyn W

5 Year Member
UK
Hi and welcome,
A ceramic heat emitter (CHE) is a good for extra heat and night heat because they just give heat so that it's dark for the tort to sleep but it needs to be run through a thermostat so that it will turn off and on and keep the temps even.
I bought both of mine form The Range for about £50 (7 years ago), but they are available online where you can get double thermostats for 2 heat sources which you may need because hopefully your torts have their own enclosures and aren't sharing.
If you post pics of the enclosure(s) and the lamps you are using you'll get good advice to help with your heating and lighting.
This is the up to date caresheet you need for your species

Lyn W

5 Year Member
UK
1640819990417.png CHE needs ceramic fitting and works great with a wide dome
1640820096656.pngDouble thermostat for 2CHEs

Lyn W

5 Year Member
UK
I now use a Reptile Radiator in my leopard's insulated kennel.
It rests on an oven shelf fitted inside because of the sloping roof.
It's a flat CHE and also needs a thermostat.
Cost between £55 - 75 depending on which online supplier you use.
1640820487678.png

Last edited: