New here, could use some help

Selmer

Location (City and/or State)
Iowa
New here and brand new to caring for a tortoise. I have been reading and learning so much here the info has been great. I have a testudo named Donatello I'm not sure what kind of testudo he is or how old we purchased at pet smart they said he is 6 months but I feel he may be older than this. From what I have read it is impossible to tell his exact age by looking at him. But he is 4-41/2 inches long. I would appreciate any help in figuring out what kind of testudo he is and how old he may be.

Attachments

• IMG_1647.JPG
    IMG_1647.JPG
    1.3 MB · Views: 35

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
He's a Russian, older then 6 months. Probably at least 5 years if not more. He needs a 4x8 foot minimum enclosure, a temp and humidity gauge that is not like the kind your using, they are unreliable and it needs to at tort level. We have a good caresheet under the Russian section that will help you set him up properly

Selmer

Iowa
He's a Russian, older then 6 months. Probably at least 5 years if not more. He needs a 4x8 foot minimum enclosure, a temp and humidity gauge that is not like the kind your using, they are unreliable and it needs to at tort level. We have a good caresheet under the Russian section that will help you set him up properly
Thank you for your help it's appreciated.

Selmer

Iowa
Thanks Techno appreciate the links I have read both of those now and realize the house I built is a bit too small. i am uploading some photos of what I built for him. Is a wood box or converted dresser better than say a rubber tub?

Also I just purchased a ceramic 150w and will be replacing the 75w heat bulb I have now but should I just keep them both going?

Right now the dual lamp with the uvb and heat bulb is about 8 to 9 inches from the ground should that be higher or lower. I will move the temp gauge to the tort level is there some reason the one I have is. It sufficient? Do I need more than one?

All advice is appreciated thank you.

Attachments

• IMG_1651.JPG
    IMG_1651.JPG
    200.9 KB · Views: 18
  • IMG_0263.JPG
    IMG_0263.JPG
    448.7 KB · Views: 21
  • IMG_0264.JPG
    IMG_0264.JPG
    508.2 KB · Views: 18

TechnoCheese

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Lewisville, Texas
It seems that you’re using a coil bulb, which are known to cause eye issues. I would switch it to a florescent tube.
You’re right, the enclosure now is much too small. A dresser could work, if it’s around 8x4 feet.
You need some hides, one humid one on the warm side and a cool one on the cool side.
Replace your water bowl with a terra cotta saucer that you put under flower pots. The one you have now is a huge flipping hazard, and a tortoise death trap.
The button thermometers are very inaccurate, and you could pull 20 off of the same shelve and they’d all give different readings. Pick up a digital hydrometer and a 15 dollar temp gun from Home Depot, and you’re good to go. You’ll only need one temp gun, and believe me, they’re life savers!
I doubt you’ll need the ceramic bulb unless your night temps/ambient temps get below 68. I would just use the heat light, but make sure it’s not a spot lamp. Those dry out the shell too much.
Your substrate is great! Just make sure it’s nice and damp.

Selmer

Iowa
It seems that you’re using a coil bulb, which are known to cause eye issues. I would switch it to a florescent tube.
You’re right, the enclosure now is much too small. A dresser could work, if it’s around 8x4 feet.
You need some hides, one humid one on the warm side and a cool one on the cool side.
Replace your water bowl with a terra cotta saucer that you put under flower pots. The one you have now is a huge flipping hazard, and a tortoise death trap.
The button thermometers are very inaccurate, and you could pull 20 off of the same shelve and they’d all give different readings. Pick up a digital hydrometer and a 15 dollar temp gun from Home Depot, and you’re good to go. You’ll only need one temp gun, and believe me, they’re life savers!
I doubt you’ll need the ceramic bulb unless your night temps/ambient temps get below 68. I would just use the heat light, but make sure it’s not a spot lamp. Those dry out the shell too much.
Your substrate is great! Just make sure it’s nice and damp.
Thank you for the additional info. I was going to switch to the ceramic cause the bulb I have now is only 75w and I'm not sure it's producing enough heat for the basking area to reach 95 degrees but then again I'm using an unreliable thermometer that has been telling me the area is at 80 degrees. I'm in Iowa so it is cold here but our room temps in the house stay around 67-68 at night. I do have one hide on the cool side but that is all so I will get a couple more when I build the larger housing.

With an open area what is the best way to keep it humid? Also how humid does he need it? I have read that the Older RT's don't need it very humid. I assume keeping the substrate damp helps with the humidity?

Thanks again Selmer

TechnoCheese

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Lewisville, Texas
If you just have a humid hide and a damp substrate, you don’t need to worry about the humidity.
The night temps sound fine :)

Selmer

Iowa
How do I know if I have a humid hide can you give me an example?