New here...doing my research

Kory

Location (City and/or State)
New Orleans, Louisiana
Hello all! My name is Kory and I stumbled upon this forum while I was doing some research on tortoises and turtles. I live in the New Orleans area and am very interested in getting back into reptiles! Way back when I was younger I had an outdoor pen with box turtles and loved it so decided it's time to do something similar again now that I have my own house with a large backyard! My first question is about which type or tortoises or box turtles would do well outdoors in my area? I know that I do not want to get into any of the larger species. As awesome as sulcata's are, I know that I do not have the room to properly house them once they get larger. Also is there anyone else in the area???

Hope to hear from yall soon!

Kory

tortdad

5 Year Member
NW Houston TX
Hello all! My name is Kory and I stumbled upon this forum while I was doing some research on tortoises and turtles. I live in the New Orleans area and am very interested in getting back into reptiles! Way back when I was younger I had an outdoor pen with box turtles and loved it so decided it's time to do something similar again now that I have my own house with a large backyard! My first question is about which type or tortoises or box turtles would do well outdoors in my area? I know that I do not want to get into any of the larger species. As awesome as sulcata's are, I know that I do not have the room to properly house them once they get larger. Also is there anyone else in the area???

Hope to hear from yall soon!

Kory

Welcome

3 toe and gulf coast box turtles do well in your area. There are lots of smaller torts that people have. Russian, Greek and hermanns stay small and you have the more tropical Redfoots that get in the 10-16" range

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Hi Kory, and welcome to the Forum!

We have many active Louisiana members on the Forum.

bouaboua

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
San Jose CA
Hello and Welcome. Good to have you here! ! !

Jacqui

Wanna be raiser of Lemon Drop tortoises
10 Year Member!
A Land Far Away...
Hi! First you may want to check on your state's laws as to what it's rules are on box turtles. Just about all species will do good in your area, depending on how much money, time and work you want to put in to it. How big of an area are you thinking for them?

Kory

New Orleans, Louisiana
Thanks for all the welcomes so far! I am unsure of the box turtle laws here, but know of a few people that have them in other parts of the state, but will be checking into that. As far as space goes I have a large yard so could make a pen pretty big depending on which animal I go with(bigger pen means less grass to cut!!) Some of the main contenders I am looking at so far include the box turtles and russian tortoises. Anyone in the area planning on going to the ReptiCon show in Baton Rouge this weekend??

Grandpa Turtle 144

5 Year Member
Hello Kory welcome to the TFO from AZ. Box turtles or Russians are great ! But you can do what you want we have a member who lives in Canada that has torts outside , but you'll have to read to see how ! Have a great tort day !