New here, doing some research!

Rutibegga

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Philadelphia, PA
Hi! I've just stumbled upon this forum while researching redfoot tortoises in anticipation of owning one in the future. I'm really excited about the prospect of buying or adopting one, but want to make sure I have all my ducks in a row before bringing one home.

I do have some questions right now:

1. Since tortoises are likely to outlive their owners, do any of you have contingency plans for your pets? I'm a dedicated pet owner, but this isn't really something I've had to worry about with the cats, dogs, and fish I've had in my life.

2. I've read a lot about enclosures for redfoot tortoises, but I've also read that humidity level preference can vary for individuals. I'm torn between wanting to build a large enclosure immediately vs. starting with a large Rubbermaid setup, getting to know my pet, then building something based on its preferences. Is it better to start big, or is it ok to grow your enclosure with your pet?

3. I've contacted a breeder to see if they have any juveniles (hatchlings make me a bit too nervous as a first time tortoise owner!) and I've looked for rescues with little luck. Any suggestions as to where to look to either purchase from a responsible breeder or adopt from a rescue would be appreciated! I'm hoping to be ready this fall.

Tidgy's Dad

5 Year Member
Fes, Morocco
Hello and a very warm welcome to Tortoise Forum.
Research away.
1. Not too worried about it yet, but in a few years it is something I may have to deal with. Often a tortoise can become a family heirloom.
2. Have a look at our redfoot section http://www.tortoiseforum.org/forums/redfoot-and-yellowfoot-tortoises.79/
and enter humidity in the search box, it may help as i don't keep redfoots myself but I'm sure a knowledgeable owner will be along in a bit.
The enclosures section may also be useful.
3.We have many breeders as members here, hopefully someone can give advice on this soon as I'm not very local to you.
Good luck.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Hello and Welcome. The RF do need a higher humidity to grow nice and smooth. However, while doing this, you need to keep them off of wet substrate. The easiest way to do this is to wet the substrate from the bottom, while leaving the top dry. Putting water in the corners is an easy way to do this. Also keeping a humdity holding substrate on the bottom, like coconut coir and a dryer substrate on top, like orchid bark. Also take a read of the tortoiselibrary.com a great site for RF among others and it's a members site

Grandpa Turtle 144

5 Year Member
Hello
ImageUploadedByTortoise Forum1437315592.143956.jpg
Build the enclosure as big as you can . The more room the better ! And torts are like " Lays chips " you will Always wish it was bigger .

Rutibegga

5 Year Member
Philadelphia, PA
We went out today and bought the lumber and supplies to build the tortoise table, and even made some headway in constructing it! My tortoise dream might come true ahead of schedule! (We also ordered a 75 gallon fish tank and stand for a planted fish tank of schooling fish--our home is going to be a jungle in no time!)

I've contacted one breeder here and reached out to some rescues. I'm nervous about a hatchling, but also succumbing to the cute--man, are they cute! Any leads appreciated!

Rutibegga

5 Year Member
Philadelphia, PA
Hello and Welcome. The RF do need a higher humidity to grow nice and smooth. However, while doing this, you need to keep them off of wet substrate. The easiest way to do this is to wet the substrate from the bottom, while leaving the top dry. Putting water in the corners is an easy way to do this. Also keeping a humdity holding substrate on the bottom, like coconut coir and a dryer substrate on top, like orchid bark. Also take a read of the tortoiselibrary.com a great site for RF among others and it's a members site

Thank you for the reply and the link. So much to learn! Went a bit nuts today and tortoise table construction is underway. Tortoise to follow soonish. Good thing my other half is also a crazy animal person.

Rutibegga

5 Year Member
Philadelphia, PA
Update:

Table construction is coming along nicely.

(http://www.tortoiseforum.org/threads/building-an-enclosure-for-a-baby-redfoot.124422/)

We plan to add another coat of stain to the outside and seal the inside a second time today, and check local hardware stores for shower pan liner. We also have a trip to a pet supply store planned (to pick up a fish tank for an unrelated project) and I'm going to see what type of substrate they have there and pick up coconut coir and sphagnum moss if they've got it.

I order some seeds: dandelion, clover, and testudo mix from tortoise supply. We have a small garden with some appropriate foods in it as well, along with sedums and aloe.

I think we're getting close to being ready!

Speedy-1

St. David Arizona
m1277.gif

johnsonnboswell

5 Year Member
I've been gently training my granddaughter in tortoise care. She's 5 now. Even though she's a vegan herself, she now helps gather slugs and worms for the turtles & feeds them, too. When she was very young she liked it that the tortoises are vegan, too.