New here - hope to be an owner soon

rnchick74

Location (City and/or State)
Louisville, KY
Hello all;

My son wants to get a red footed tortoise for his 10th birthday, so we are researching & starting to plan. We don't want to jump in without as much knowledge as possible. We live in the Louisville KY area, so if anyone knows of a reputable place/person to get one in this area (or reasonable drive) please let me know.

Thanks!

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Hello and Welcome. You came to the right place for all the correct info. Most of it out on the web is old and outdated.

rnchick74

Louisville, KY
Thanks all - We are open to suggestions for a smaller, easier to raise tortoise as well for a 1st timer. We are enjoying looking around and learning.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Thanks all - We are open to suggestions for a smaller, easier to raise tortoise as well for a 1st timer. We are enjoying looking around and learning.
Do you have humid summers there in Louisville? If yes, this will make housing him outside as an adult easy in summer. Do you have room for a 4x8' closed chamber indoors to maintain warm humid conditions during the colder part of the year?

rnchick74

Louisville, KY
Do you have humid summers there in Louisville? If yes, this will make housing him outside as an adult easy in summer. Do you have room for a 4x8' closed chamber indoors to maintain warm humid conditions during the colder part of the year?

Louisville does get quite hot & humid in the summers - 70-90% humidity with 90-100 degrees for at least a month. Average during the summer is 80% humidity and around 85-90 degrees. We currently live in an apartment, but have a large patio with strong bars that can accomodate an adult - hoping to move to a house eventually.

Inside in my son's room we do have space & the ability to custom build a closed chamber setup. I'm quite handy & my dad is an engineer.

My son wants a tortoise that will grow to be not too large, but not tiny either.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Sounds like a RF might be a good choice for you guys, given all of the above. You might also consider a marginata or hermanni. Or a pancake tortoise.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Welcome to the Forum!

daniellenc

Maryland
A redfoot is perfect for you guys and your weather half the year. My son got his last and other than the daily soaks which take 30-45 minutes he is super easy to care for. We got our's shipped by Tortoise Supply and he has lots of reviews here for you to look at. Tyler is a member here and very reputable. I like you was a member for a month researching and getting his tank perfect so kuddos for researching and planning ahead!!

rnchick74

Louisville, KY
I think we have actually decided on an Eastern Hermann's from hermannihaven.com. The somewhat smaller size makes it a little easier to house indoors during the winter/fall/colder part of spring. We have started working on gathering items needed & learning tons. Very excited!