New here looking to get some spur thighs

Marine57

Location (City and/or State)
Leamington spa
Looking to get some spur thigh hatchlings ive read alot in here about closes chambers are these a must to prevent pyramiding ? Because groups on facebook are telling me they need to go straight in tort table and are saying closed chambers will cause respiratory problems but ive read in here from 30years of experience breeders closed chambers are must for hatchlings any advice cheers ?

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
The Greeks, along with most of the Mediterraneans, don't require as much humidity to keep from pyramiding, but a little does help. In my opinion, you can get by without a closed chamber, but I must tell you I raised a clutch of Russians (which are similar to the Greeks) in a closed chamber, just because I had one vacant at the time, and they turned out beautiful!

ZEROPILOT

REDFOOT WRANGLER
Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
South Eastern Florida (U.S.A.)/Rock Hill S.C.
The Greeks, along with most of the Mediterraneans, don't require as much humidity to keep from pyramiding, but a little does help. In my opinion, you can get by without a closed chamber, but I must tell you I raised a clutch of Russians (which are similar to the Greeks) in a closed chamber, just because I had one vacant at the time, and they turned out beautiful!
Isn't the OP talking about Sulcata?

Marine57

Leamington spa
Thank you!

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Read the care sheets under the Mediterranean section. Yes, all tortoise hatchlings will benefit from a closed chamber. Open tops are much harder to keep temps and humidity where they need to be.
The FB groups btw are clueless. Respiratory problems come with too cold an enclosure.

Marine57

Leamington spa
Read the care sheets under the Mediterranean section. Yes, all tortoise hatchlings will benefit from a closed chamber. Open tops are much harder to keep temps and humidity where they need to be.
The FB groups btw are clueless. Respiratory problems come with too cold an enclosure.
I have been reading alot on here and i mentioned it in a tort group and they said we follow experts advice in the group that open tables for hatchlings and too much humidity causes respiratory problems which as you say is caused from the cold but most the torts in the group are suffering pyramiding and there attitude was we wont be listening to breeders who have bred for 30 years u have to do it this way , but i think ill go the closed chamber route and definitely follow advice in here just want to get my setup sorted before buying a tort cheers .

Ray--Opo

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Palm Bay Fl
I have been reading alot on here and i mentioned it in a tort group and they said we follow experts advice in the group that open tables for hatchlings and too much humidity causes respiratory problems which as you say is caused from the cold but most the torts in the group are suffering pyramiding and there attitude was we wont be listening to breeders who have bred for 30 years u have to do it this way , but i think ill go the closed chamber route and definitely follow advice in here just want to get my setup sorted before buying a tort cheers .
If you're looking for sulcata's. A closed enclosure to hold humidity has helped to stop pyramiding. If you allow the temps in the enclosure to drop below 80° for a period of time. You could have problems with respiratory infections.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Well, they don't! They follow people that have not realized the old way is wrong.
If you want to do it right and give the best possible, you will stick to this forum and forget the rest.if you want to do it their way, go for it, and good luck.

Marine57

Leamington spa
If you're looking for sulcata's. A closed enclosure to hold humidity has helped to stop pyramiding. If you allow the temps in the enclosure to drop below 80° for a period of time. You could have problems with respiratory infections.
It was for testudo gracea

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Looking to get some spur thigh hatchlings ive read alot in here about closes chambers are these a must to prevent pyramiding ? Because groups on facebook are telling me they need to go straight in tort table and are saying closed chambers will cause respiratory problems but ive read in here from 30years of experience breeders closed chambers are must for hatchlings any advice cheers ?
Before you do anything, please read this at least twice: