New here & need help with baby sulcata not eating, etc.

km1913

Location (City and/or State)
Ohio
I have read a lot of post here. I know a sick sulcata isn't unique, but I am really hoping I can nurse her back to health.

Problems:
- hasn't eaten since I've owned her (9/22/18)
- rarely opens eyes except while soaking
- have only seen one poop
- bottom of shell is starting to get soft (noticed 9/28)
- not very active

What I have tried:
- started soaking daily 9/23
- started soaks with Vitasol 9/25 - 9/29, then started again 10/5
- started zoo med turtle eye drops once daily 9/28
- baby food soaks 1-2 times a day 9/29
- force feed zilla jump-start once 9/29
- put zilla jump-start dissolved in soaks from 9/30 to 10/3
- started adding Fluker's Liquid Calcium to soaks 10/5

Set-up:
- 40 gal reptile tank with screen lid
- MVB solar glo 100w
- ceramic heater w/ thermostat at 80 9/29 to 10/3, at 85 starting 10/4 ***was getting to 76 at night before ceramic
heater was added
- covered screen of lid with foil 10/5 (immediate, large improvement in humidity and overall temp)
- hide: zoo med haba hut with sphagnum moss, half buried in substrate
- substrate: 1/2 coco fiber, 1/2 peat moss, getting orchid mulch 10/6
- small basking rock
- 2 medium terra cotta dishes: one for food, the other for a shallow water dish
- small dish of planted wheat grass
- cool side temp 80-90,
- hot side temp 90-105
- misting entire tank well 1-2 times per day
Food:
- breeder said she fed her green leaf lettuce
- what I have offered:
> spring mix
> mashed strawberry
> watermelon
> grass clippings from outside
> hosta leaves
> wheat grass
> spinach
> baby kale
> shaved carrots
> cucumber slices
> clover
> mashed raspberry
- she will not eat anything
- I put her in food dish and she will walk to other side of tank
- I put a piece of cuttlebone in her dish. Have not tried to scrape it onto food yet only because she isn't even eating
the food

Other Important Notes:
- I live in Ohio and it is too cold to take her outside right now, limits food options
- she was not active, was not eating the food in tank, did not have eyes open when she was purchased
- have contacted breeder but not much advice offered
- baby food baths show some improvement in condition, but she still won't eat
- will move half way across tank, but then lay there for 6 hours (have video camera for when we are not home)
- soaks are 30 min long and done under lamp to keep the bath warm, she is then rinsed in a clean bath
- lights are on from 7-9 to allow me to get a soak in at 7am (before I have to leave) and at 8pm (the latest I get
home) with a 30 min window for her to dry off before the solar glo goes off
- did 3 baby food soaks today. plan to do 3 daily the rest of the weekend with baby food, vita sol, and liquid calcium

Questions:
- Is there some kind of food I can offer that might be more enticing? She has not showed interest in food at all since
I got her
- Is there anything else I can do to help her pull through?
- Should I keep using the eye drops?
- Do you know what is wrong with her?IMG_20181004_082558.jpg IMG_20181004_081137 (1).jpg IMG_20181004_082728.jpg IMG_20181005_195832.jpg IMG_20181005_195827.jpg IMG_20181005_195814.jpg

LaLaP

5 Year Member
Portland, OR
Poor baby. Sorry you are both going through this. I don't have much to offer except a couple of my torts favorite foods. Dandilion, nopales cactus, chicks and hens succulents. Maybe one of those would strike her fancy. Don't give up hope! I'll be pulling for you guys.

Maro2Bear

5 Year Member
Glenn Dale, Maryland, USA
Greetings..

Really sorry as well to hear about the non-eating issues you are having.

I would definitely suggest you stop feeding strawberry and watermelon....but from the sounds of it, doesnt sound like your ‘lil guy is eating anything.

Make sure temps are right day and night...warm soakings.

Good luck..

EllieMay

5 Year Member
East Texas
The warmer you get her, the better. I’ll be pulling for y’all. Good luck

LaLaP

5 Year Member
Portland, OR
I guess I wouldn't buy chicks and hens if there's a chance that the soil has fertilizers and chemicals like most plants bought in nurseries... just if you have some growing that will be organic. Try the cactus from a grocery store or Mexican market though. It's a big hit with most torts. I think the 90-98F soaks are good. The best of luck!

P

pguinpro

I noticed you said MVB 100w bulb but does that produce uvb/uva?

km1913

Ohio
I guess I wouldn't buy chicks and hens if there's a chance that the soil has fertilizers and chemicals like most plants bought in nurseries... just if you have some growing that will be organic. Try the cactus from a grocery store or Mexican market though. It's a big hit with most torts. I think the 90-98F soaks are good. The best of luck!
My boyfriends mom grows both of them in her flower beds. I will double check that she does not use fertilizer. But I will check out the Mexican market if need be. Thank you!

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Sounds like you are doing everything right.

Unfortunately, the best tortoise keeper in the world can't save them if the breeder kills their kidneys. Yours matches the symptoms of a dry started baby, and the growth lines tell a very dry tale. All you can do is keep trying what you are doing and hope for the best. Some make it through and some don't. This tortoise's fate was decided long before you laid eyes on it.

km1913

Ohio
Sounds like you are doing everything right.

Unfortunately, the best tortoise keeper in the world can't save them if the breeder kills their kidneys. Yours matches the symptoms of a dry started baby, and the growth lines tell a very dry tale. All you can do is keep trying what you are doing and hope for the best. Some make it through and some don't. This tortoise's fate was decided long before you laid eyes on it.
Thank you! I'll keep at it!

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
You're doing everything right. Just keep up the soaking. I hope you're able to save this baby.

km1913

Ohio
Sorry I haven't been on in a while!! She is still alive. We are still bathing her 3 times a day. We got a very large poo on Monday and a small poo on Wednesday. We have noticed her taking very long drinks during her baths for the past couple of days, but she is still not very active when she is not in a bath. She opens her eyes just fine while bathing but I still have not seen her with open eyes when she is in her tank. I think she isn't very fond of us because she is much more active when we are not home, but in the little time lapses we take I can't tell if her eyes are open or if she is eating. I don't think she is eating or if she is it is very little. I'm not sure how to encourage her to eat anything. Should I try baby food that has spinach in it to encourage her to eat greens like Gerber Peas, Carrots, and Spinach? I think the baths are definitely keeping her alive, I'm just really concerned about how to transition her to solids.

Ray--Opo

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Palm Bay Fl
Glad to hear from you. It sounds like your little guy has a caring owner. Romaine lettuce was Opo's favorite when I first got Opo. I would tear it up into small pieces instead of just putting a whole leaf in the dish. Opo preferred it that way. I found presentation sometimes makes a difference.
Keep up the good work and know we are concerned and pray for a healthy outcome for your little guy

Arzu78

San Juan, Puerto Rico
Keep up the soaks with the carrot baby food. I would slightly moisten small food pellets, leave them on her plate, keeping track of the amount in order to see if she is eating when you guys are not around. Poop is good !!! We are for full recovery!!!