New here...Proud tort owner!

Status
Not open for further replies.

sillywilly221

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Hello all,

My name is Steve and I'm a proud owner of a baby tortoise. The store I bought it from told me it was a sulcata, but I'm unsure if it is a sulcata or a leopard. I realize care differences are minimal, but the eventual size will be important to consider. I'd love if someone could identify from the photos below for sure.

I've created a care regimen for my tort based on conversations with other successful sulcata owners and the internet.

His (maybe her, too early to tell) name is Dozer. The name has a dual meaning, he/she likes to sleep a lot, eats very well, and barrels through whatever is in his/her way (this could be bad in 15 years!).

Daily:

-Turn on the UVB lamp
-Change the water
-Provide a handful of fresh greens sprayed with a vitamin supplement that adds beta carotene, vitamin C, folic acid, vitamin B1, B2, B6, B12, niacin, calcium, vitamin D3, potassium iodide, and biotin.
-In the enclosure, I also provide a cuttlebone, which is 43% calcium for Dozer. He/she chews on it infrequently. I do this to supplement his diet and to prevent pyramiding.
-At night, I take Dozer out of his enclosure and give him a nice bath in warm water (baby bath warm). He/she usually releases his/her waste and takes a few gulps. This will last anywhere from 10-20 minutes depending how impatient Dozer gets. Unfortunately, he/she doesn't appear to like water. He/she rarely goes into his/her water dish during the day.
-After the bath, I dry Dozer off and polish his shell daily with vitashell. I do this to prevent cracking and to keep his/her shell nice and shiny and healthy. This supplement includes many natural oils.

I use alfalfa pellets in Dozer's enclosure. To my dismay, he/she doesn't eat them, but he/she sure loves to dig into them! Dozer doesn't appear to be allergic, which is good!

I'd love input on my care. Am I doing too much? Should I make any changes? I want to be a responsible tort owner.

I want my grandkids to love my tort as much as I do. =)

DSC00279.JPG

DSC00278.JPG

Last edited by a moderator:

kevantheman35

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
indiana
welcome to the forum steve! you definately have yourself a baby sulcata tortoise. i have heard it can be very bad to use vita shell everyday, people have told me it builds up and puts a thick layer of wax on the shell clogging up airways and such. i think its meant to be like a once a month kind of deal. Sounds like you have a nice loving schedual worked out though. welcome to the forum

sillywilly221

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Does it make a difference if you put VitaShell on at night?

I heard if you do it during the day, it would cause a tort to heat up too fast before getting enough UVB.

I put it on at night, because I thought the reverse logic would hold true. As it cools down at night, the layer of oil would allow my tort to retain heat. Maybe I'm misguided in my logic.

Thanks for the welcome! Do you know of any good tort vets in the Daytona Beach area in Florida?

kevantheman35

10 Year Member!
indiana
your logic may be true in holding some heat in. but the oil doesnt just go away by the next day.

M

Maggie Cummings

sillywilly221 said:
Hello all,

My name is Steve and I'm a proud owner of a baby tortoise. The store I bought it from told me it was a sulcata, but I'm unsure if it is a sulcata or a leopard. I realize care differences are minimal, but the eventual size will be important to consider. I'd love if someone could identify from the photos below for sure.

I've created a care regimen for my tort based on conversations with other successful sulcata owners and the internet.

His (maybe her, too early to tell) name is Dozer. The name has a dual meaning, he/she likes to sleep a lot, eats very well, and barrels through whatever is in his/her way (this could be bad in 15 years!).

Daily:

-Turn on the UVB lamp
-Change the water
-Provide a handful of fresh greens sprayed with a vitamin supplement that adds beta carotene, vitamin C, folic acid, vitamin B1, B2, B6, B12, niacin, calcium, vitamin D3, potassium iodide, and biotin.
-In the enclosure, I also provide a cuttlebone, which is 43% calcium for Dozer. He/she chews on it infrequently. I do this to supplement his diet and to prevent pyramiding.
-At night, I take Dozer out of his enclosure and give him a nice bath in warm water (baby bath warm). He/she usually releases his/her waste and takes a few gulps. This will last anywhere from 10-20 minutes depending how impatient Dozer gets. Unfortunately, he/she doesn't appear to like water. He/she rarely goes into his/her water dish during the day.
-After the bath, I dry Dozer off and polish his shell daily with vitashell. I do this to prevent cracking and to keep his/her shell nice and shiny and healthy. This supplement includes many natural oils.

I use alfalfa pellets in Dozer's enclosure. To my dismay, he/she doesn't eat them, but he/she sure loves to dig into them! Dozer doesn't appear to be allergic, which is good!

I'd love input on my care. Am I doing too much? Should I make any changes? I want to be a responsible tort owner.

Hi Steve welcome to the group. I appreciate the fact that you are trying to do good by Dozer, but here is my critique of your care. First of all let me say that my family has been involved in turtle and tortoise rescue for 35 years or so. I personally haven't had tortoises for that long, but I'm just wanting to give you my credentials so to speak.
So I say this in the most loving and respectful way I can.
Throw out the Vitashell. It's not necessary and can be harmful. You want his carapace to breathe,Vitashell clogs up the pores and it won't help to prevent pyramiding. But humidity WILL help to prevent pyramiding so you need to also throw out the alfalfa pellets. They are too dry and you DON'T want your baby to eat that much protein. They are said to cause feet and legs deformities from walking on such a bad surface. They roll and don't give the tort much purchase. They also contain too much protein for a Sulcata.
The 3 things that will prevent pyramiding are...correct food, humidity and exercise. In the wild Sulcata will roam for miles taking a bite here and another bite there. They can't get enough exercise in an enclosure. I created a safe place in my living room for my smaller tortoises to walk about and climb on stuff. I put rocks and branches and other objects to make it like a playground for tortoises, then I change it around weekly or so.He needs a substrate that will hold moisture. Most use a product called Eco earth also called bed a beast, which you would mix 50/50 with clean play sand. I personally use 'fine' grade orchid bark, but it is getting hard to find.
You could also use clean top soil or potting soil with no additives. Make sure that anything you change him to does not have pine in it. Pine is toxic to tortoises and I have had one hatchling die from it and his clutchmate is partially blind because of it. You would keep the substrate moist and that creates humidity. And there you go!
The cuttlebone is excellent and he'll use it when his instinct tells him to.
I'm not sure about the stuff you are spraying on Dozer's food, I try to feed my animals the best food available and I don't add chemicals to it. but I do add clover and blossoms and weeds and grape leafs and Hibiscus leafs and blooms to the food trying to mimic what they would eat in the wild. I fully expect my animals to get their vitamins and minerals from the food they eat. Once a week or so I sprinkle a product called TNT over the food, it has all the probiotics that the animals need.
Well, I think I'm done, and I hope I have helped you some. I seriously ask that if you don't do anything else I have suggested, get rid of the Vitashell. If you feed him correctly and have the humidity like I suggested his shell will be beautiful.
There's a picture of Bob by my signature, he is my 14 yr old 65 pound Sulcata and the blind one is Tony, he's 3 years and 14 pounds.
I also have aquatics and box turtles and Russian tortoise.I have 12 grazing tortoises now. I have pared down my animals so I only have 27.
Sorry I wrote a novel...I do that sometimes...I'd better stop now ...LOL

sillywilly221 said:
Hello all,

Daily:

-Turn on the UVB lamp
-Change the water

These are the only Vets in Fla that I could find close to Daytona. Jacksonville is closest I guess. You really do need a Vet that specializes in reptiles, so I would suggest you try to find one now before you have an emergency and need one ASAP...sorry I couldn't be more help.

FLORIDA Lutz. Robert Stottlemyer & Edith Kline All Creatures Animal Hospital Sunset Plaza Lutz\, Fl 813-949-2706

Dr John Rossi DVM. MA
2641 Park Street. J
Jacksonville Fl 32204

(904) 388-3494
FAX (904) 388-2280

Crazy1

10 Year Member!
Inland Empire, CA
Hi Steve welcome to the forum. ( I do not have Sulcatas at the moment) I have to agree with what others have already said, get rid of the vita shell. A la Natural is the best way to go. If you want a tort that is healthy and happy and looking good, a good diet, exercise and correct humidity an temp is the way to go. If you want a nice pretty shell just give him a scrub with a soft brush like a fingernail or soft toothbrush and warm or tepid water (NO soap of any kind). Alfalfa pellets are hard on a little ones leg muscles and too high in vegetable protein for them if they eat it. I also don't know what you are spraying on its greens. I feed mine a good diet and add calcium Carbonate only. What type of UVB are you using and What is the humidity in its enclosure. And how old or big is your shelled one. Again welcome to the forum. Perhaps you could continue this in the Sulcata Central forum

egyptiandan

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
USA
Welcome to forum Steve :)

Maggie has given you some great advice for your sulcata.

Danny

Status
Not open for further replies.