New Here--Sulcatas!!!

paigefaneller

Location (City and/or State)
Arizona
Hi! My name is Paige. I'm from Arizona. I have 2 Sulcatas... both hatchlings!! My sister and I were given them as Christmas presents this year. We gave our sulcatas girl names even though their genders are not identified-- Cindy & Trudy! (Cindy from Can't Buy Me Love & Trudy from New in Town) ImageUploadedByTortoise Forum1488058460.968760.jpg
They were born June 2016 so they're around 8 months. These (Girls/Boys) are always growing!!! I'm new here and I have a few questions... just not really sure where to post them. Lol

Paige
Cindy & Trudy the Sulcatas

JoesMum

10 Year Member!
Kent, South East England
Hello and welcome to you and your very cute sulcatas.

Have you read the relevant TFO care sheets? They're written by species experts working hard to correct the outdated information widely available on the internet and from pet stores and, sadly, from some breeders and vets too.

Beginner Mistakes
http://www.tortoiseforum.org/threads/beginner-mistakes.45180/

How to raise a healthy sulcata
http://www.tortoiseforum.org/threads/how-to-raise-a-healthy-sulcata-or-leopard-version-2-0.79895/

Now for the less good news. Sulcatas are very territorial and, regardless of gender, don't do well as pairs. They are loners that don't need, want or particularly like other torts who are just rivals for territory and food; bullying is common - both mental and physical - leading to the decline, sickness and possible death of the subordinate tort.

These two should be separated before they indulge in typical sulcate fighting and blood loss.

http://www.tortoiseforum.org/threads/pairs.34837/

paigefaneller

Arizona
Even if they're just babies I should separate them? They eat together, sleep together, bathe together.

JoesMum

10 Year Member!
Kent, South East England
Even if they're just babies I should separate them? They eat together, sleep together, bathe together.
There can be bullying even with babies.

Cuddling up is just jostling for the best sleeping space. In the wild they lead solitary lives, meeting to mate and move on. Another tort is simply competition for food and territory. Sulcatas are amongst the worst for bullying so separation before bullying is apparent is better for the health of both.

These two will each end up as 150lb+ bulldozers in the very near future, so it is better to face facts and deal with it now while they are small.

paigefaneller

Arizona
Would this be a problem if their was more than 2? Or is it just because they're a pair it would be a problem?

JoesMum

10 Year Member!
Kent, South East England
Groups of 3 or more may succeed in a very large outdoor enclosure (minimum of 4'x8' per tort) with plenty of sight barriers. This assumes that there is no more than 1 male, which is impossible to tell at this size, and that all the torts are a similar size. Any new tort to a group must be kept entirely separately in quarantine for at least six months before introduction and even then there is no guarantee of harmony.

Tidgy's Dad

5 Year Member
Fes, Morocco
Hello, Paige, and a very warm welcome to Tortoise Forum to you Cindy and Trudy.:)
Very nice looking Sullies, but I'm afraid that You will need to separate them soon. :(

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Welcome to the Forum, Paige!!