new here

Melissa Manire

Hello to all the tortoise lovers out there!

I have just recently adopted a tortoise that, from the looks of it - is suffering from dehydration. I've spent countless hours researching on his symptoms and all that I have read is linked to overall dehydration or a possible virus. His symptoms are listed below. He came to me in a very dry environment. White urates were all over his enclosure, the enclosure had not been properly cleaned in awhile. His basking light was way too hot for him and the owner did not use a UVB bulb.

He is now in a more suitable micro climate enclosure with proper lighting, temperature, and humidity levels but, although there has been slight improvement, this is day 5 and his negative symptoms are still visible. MY veterinarian ( there aren't many trustworthy ones in the area!) is out of town and will not be back for a few more days... If anyone can help me figure out what is wrong with this little guy, it would mean the WORLD to me! I hate to see an animal suffer....

Negative Symptoms:

- Sunk in eyes
- White, puffy around eyes
- Rarely moves around the tank ( He may still be adjusting to his new environment?)
- Scales missing from arms and legs ( He was not housed with other tortoises from what I am aware of)

Positive Symptoms:

- Has a large appetite
- Healthier poop (pellet form vs white urate)
- His eyes are getting more brown around them( where the puffy-ness is) rather than all white
- Clear nose ( no sneezing/coughing)
- Healthy shell

What I have been doing to assist him:

- Bathing once every other day for 20-25min ( Should I bathe him every day?)
- Ensuring humidity levels are accurate (misting the enclosure every now and then)
- Spraying his food with water before adding supplements ( phosphorus free calcium and vit d3)
- Spending time grazing in direct sunlight ( with hide out areas for shade)
- Keeping a daily record of symptoms ( to know whether or not he is improving)

Any help would be appreciated! Thank you

Tidgy's Dad

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Fes, Morocco
Sounds like you are doing everything right.
Doesn't look bad to me, but I'm no vet.
keep doing what you're doing and yes, to begin perhaps a soak every day would be better.
And if you're using a coil/compact bulb, replace it immediately as these have been known to cause eye problems in tortoises.

Tidgy's Dad

5 Year Member
Fes, Morocco
Hello to all the tortoise lovers out there!

I have just recently adopted a tortoise that, from the looks of it - is suffering from dehydration. I've spent countless hours researching on his symptoms and all that I have read is linked to overall dehydration or a possible virus. His symptoms are listed below. He came to me in a very dry environment. White urates were all over his enclosure, the enclosure had not been properly cleaned in awhile. His basking light was way too hot for him and the owner did not use a UVB bulb.

He is now in a more suitable micro climate enclosure with proper lighting, temperature, and humidity levels but, although there has been slight improvement, this is day 5 and his negative symptoms are still visible. MY veterinarian ( there aren't many trustworthy ones in the area!) is out of town and will not be back for a few more days... If anyone can help me figure out what is wrong with this little guy, it would mean the WORLD to me! I hate to see an animal suffer....

Negative Symptoms:

- Sunk in eyes
- White, puffy around eyes
- Rarely moves around the tank ( He may still be adjusting to his new environment?)
- Scales missing from arms and legs ( He was not housed with other tortoises from what I am aware of)

Positive Symptoms:

- Has a large appetite
- Healthier poop (pellet form vs white urate)
- His eyes are getting more brown around them( where the puffy-ness is) rather than all white
- Clear nose ( no sneezing/coughing)
- Healthy shell

What I have been doing to assist him:

- Bathing once every other day for 20-25min ( Should I bathe him every day?)
- Ensuring humidity levels are accurate (misting the enclosure every now and then)
- Spraying his food with water before adding supplements ( phosphorus free calcium and vit d3)
- Spending time grazing in direct sunlight ( with hide out areas for shade)
- Keeping a daily record of symptoms ( to know whether or not he is improving)

Any help would be appreciated! Thank you
Oh, and hello, Melissa, and a very warm welcome to Tortoise Forum.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Welcome to the Forum, Melissa.

bouaboua

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
San Jose CA
Torts Welcome.jpg

Welcome to the forum.

johnsonnboswell

5 Year Member
Welcome

You can't turn around previous bad care in just a few days, but you can turn it around.

When someone posts that every aspect of care & habitat is correct, it raises the question: according to whom? Forgive me for saying this, but it must be said because pet stores and even vets give out bad advice routinely. Following it can lead to trouble at worst or wasted money at best. It would help us help you if you gave us the particulars so we can agree and/or make further suggestions.

Yelloweyed

5 Year Member
SoCal California
It does take a while to see a difference as stated before. I had two five-month-old Sulcatas for four months before I saw any difference. They had pyramiding when I got them but with the Tortoise Forum recommendations, all of the new growth was nice and smooth. After six months, the pyramiding was not that noticeable.