New here!

ccooley

Location (City and/or State)
Oregon
Hello all, I have read many helpful advice here over the years and thought I should join. I have two female Russian Tortious. I got Shelly for my birthday three years ago and Dandy joined us this past summer. We have so enjoyed being Tortiose parents. Never thought I would say that but it is true.

5847EC68-B1D3-4DE9-BA20-56DED1364BAE.jpeg 0D60B667-6A4B-47CB-9212-D05AC1171E2E.jpeg 2D19224D-3D00-4765-B5BF-4B946C09B1CC.jpeg D023267F-BD1C-4461-877B-494A2A86B960.jpeg

TechnoCheese

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Lewisville, Texas
Welcome to the forum!
Hate to break it to you, but your tortoises need to be separated.

Tortoises are solitary animals, and should never be kept in pairs regardless of gender. Russian tortoises are especially territorial, and definitely do not appreciate company.

Most tortoise aggression is mental, not physical, so there is likely bullying going on even if you haven’t seen them outright biting and ramming each other. “Cuddling”, “following”, sitting face to face, sitting on the food, sleeping in the same hide when other hides are available, and generally just always being together are one tortoise trying to push, shove, and stress the other out of its territory, and not signs of affection like they appear to be.

In pairs, there is always a dominant and a subordinate. Both are constantly stressed, because one is constantly being bullied, and the other can never get the subordinate out of its territory. It is especially crucial that you separate them because there’s a pretty big size difference between them.

Be sure to give these a read and come back with questions :)
Russian Tortoise Care Sheet https://tortoiseforum.org/index.php?threads/Russian-Tortoise-Care-Sheet.80698/

Beginner Mistakes https://tortoiseforum.org/index.php?threads/Beginner-Mistakes.45180/