New Hermann’s Owner

OkAdiza

Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Virginia
Hello all! I’m a new owner of an Eastern Hermann’s Tortoise and came across this forum via Hermanni Haven. Our tort is a male, about 4 inches, and has been with us 4 weeks now. Overall, he seems to be doing well, though I plan on getting him checked out at a vet this week. I hope to put up some pics of his enclosure for suggestions soon. This forum has been great. Thanks!

OkAdiza

Tortoise Club
Virginia
I am hoping to get photos of the enclosure up soon, but I did have a question. I admit I'm still very new to housing a tortoise. (I've had a slider in the past and currently have two sliders, but never a tortoise). I have poured over enclosure information over the past month plus, especially the Hermanni Haven Care sheet, but I couldn't seem to find how tall the enclosure should be. I know there was a suggestion for outdoor enclosure height. I've probably just also mixed up all the information I've been looking over. My husband built our tortoise table for Otsokrikri (Ga language word for March). It is 5' by 3' and 10 inches tall. I'm beginning to think 10 inches is too short. Is that too short? Otsokrikri has his first Vet wellness check up tomorrow and I was going to ask some questions there too, but thought I'd see what some longtime Hermann's owners thought. Thanks.

OkAdiza

Tortoise Club
Virginia
I wasn’t sure where to post these, so just came back to my intro. Here is Otsokrikri’s enclosure. I will be replacing the thermometer with one I read about on the forum very soon.
The Vet visit went well and everything looked great except he did have some parasites and is now on medication .

A7CB9F18-B9F5-4803-BBB8-B061ADA0A600.jpeg A1B1A419-2EAC-4615-8AD3-BA40120EF06D.jpeg 63E009F4-4288-427F-B528-DD52D3B2C7D5.jpeg

Len B

10 Year Member!
Southern Md - Northern Neck Va
Hello, 10 inches is tall enough for him. Only thing you may want to do is cap the corners. I spent today redoing my Hermanns outside enclosure using wood instead of the original blocks. I capped it all the around and the divider that separates the two areas.I don't have an indoor enclosure to show you. but here is what I did today. I'll finish it tomorrow.But I did get enough done so I could put them back outside.Picture 002.jpgWelcome to the Forum, I'm in Virginia also.

OkAdiza

Tortoise Club
Virginia
Hello, 10 inches is tall enough for him. Only thing you may want to do is cap the corners. I spent today redoing my Hermanns outside enclosure using wood instead of the original blocks. I capped it all the around and the divider that separates the two areas.I don't have an indoor enclosure to show you. but here is what I did today. I'll finish it tomorrow.But I did get enough done so I could put them back outside.View attachment 282017Welcome to the Forum, I'm in Virginia also.
Yes, thank you! The vet said the same thing about the height. We were actually about to place a board across the back of one side to create more of a hide area, but I was thinking of having a lip all the way around too. How many Hermann’s do you have?

Len B

10 Year Member!
Southern Md - Northern Neck Va
I have a pair of easterns that I got as young adults a few years ago. then back in August I found a hatchling in the females side of the pen, it now lives in my kitchen.