New Hermann’s Tortoise questions 🐢

Zenpsyche

Location (City and/or State)
Dallas, TX
Hi ya’ll!!!
I am somewhat new to this forum but I’ve been doing a lot of research over the past months… Last week I got a new amazing Hermans tortoise from a really sweet privately owned pet shop. I’m guessing he is about a year and a half to two years old. He’s about 5 inches in length. The people who work there really loved him and were so happy one of the girls cried when I brought him home last week. OK here come the questions…

My new baby is named Coconut 🥰
The first few days he didn’t eat a lot but now he’s a little muncher 😂 I’m not sure if they soaked him at the pet shop so for the past week so I’ve been doing it every day in the warm water. I don’t think he knows what’s going on which is really cute he’s kind of confused lol… He gets a varied diet of the soaked Massuri pellets, little treats of cactus, beautiful fresh organic greens (no spinach or fruits). He has a ton of energy! I let him out of his enclosure to cruise around my apartment under a very watchful eye. He lets me pet him he is an absolute sweetheart!

Yesterday and this morning when I was giving him his morning bath he did his regular pee and that white stuff and pooped but his poo was kind of watery. He has no runny nose. Lots of energy. He literally acts like a perfect little tortoise angel. I’ll probably take him to the vet next week to make sure he has a good bill of health just in case.

Questions:

1) I have bathed him every day this week cause I’m not sure if they did that at the pet shop and I want to make sure he gets rehydrated. I have heard when they’re older that can cause diarrhea. Is this true?
2) I don’t have any area around here to find good weeds or dandelion flowers. I live in The turtle Creek area of Dallas. I’m afraid the parks probably use nasty pesticides. Where can I find fresh dandelion flowers? I don’t have any place in my apartment to grow them because I don’t get much sunlight and I have a cat who would attack it lol
3) should I only bathe him a couple times a week?
4) I have heard I should feed him five days and two days no food is that accurate?
5) finally, does anyone live in the Dallas area and know of a reputable vet that works with tortoises? I would like to bring him next week just so we can get a good check up 🥰

Thank you for reading this and for being so long-winded but I wanted to make sure I got everything in there 🙏🐢🥰

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Very nice that the pet store really loved your tort. Would be much better if they care for them better. Tortoises don't care if you love them. If they do get any more tortoises, help them out by directing them to this forum and our caresheets.
Soaking does not cause diarrhea. Soak every day until you feel he has caught up to being dehydrated. Then you can cut it back to 3 times a week if you want.
Roaming your apartment is very bad and dangerous to him. Build a proper size enclosure and leave him in it, not the floor.
Feed him every day.
Be sure the basking temp is 95-100
All over temp is 75-80 and
Night temps can drop to 60.
Humidity should be around 80% for about another year then can drop to 30-50%.
Minimum size enclosur is a 4x8 foot.
Check out @Kapidolo Farms for added food weeds and flowers you can add to the diet.