New Hermann’s tortoise

cierraacker

Location (City and/or State)
Spring Hill, Fl
Hello all! I recently adopted a juvenile Hermann’s tortoise from a pet store and i’m a first time owner. I am using eco earth as his substrate but it’s super messy because he walks in his water dish and it gets all muddy. I don’t know if that is normal or i need to change his substrate? He had some kind of mulch at the pet store. He is in a tote at the moment till I get a tortoise bed. Any advice you can give at all would be helpful. Thank you!

Jan A

Boulder, CO
Hello all! I recently adopted a juvenile Hermann’s tortoise from a pet store and i’m a first time owner. I am using eco earth as his substrate but it’s super messy because he walks in his water dish and it gets all muddy. I don’t know if that is normal or i need to change his substrate? He had some kind of mulch at the pet store. He is in a tote at the moment till I get a tortoise bed. Any advice you can give at all would be helpful. Thank you!
HNY!! Welcome to the Forum! Most of us are going to recommend Orchid bark (fir bark) whether you buy it from a gardening outlet or as "reptibark" by Zoomed on line. For all torts, it has the ability to retain water subsurface & stay dry on top giving you the ability to keep humidity higher. It also doesn't get muddy & your tort usually doesn't eat it.

We love photos!! We are here to help, so questions are welcome.

Ray--Opo

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Palm Bay Fl
Welcome to the forum, the reptibark is a good substrate like Lyn suggested. We would love to see pics of your tort.